Chrysler

Chrysler Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chrysler

PLS EXCUSE ALLCAPS - 2006 PT CRUISER WAS RUNNING FINE THEN

Customer Question
BEGAN TO PERIODICALLY SHOW CHECK...
PLS EXCUSE ALLCAPS - 2006 PT CRUISER WAS RUNNING FINE THEN BEGAN TO PERIODICALLY SHOW CHECK ENGINE LIGHT AND THEN PERIODIC OVERHEATING. ERROR CODE RETURNED PROB W CAMSHAFT SENSOR. DECIDED TO REPLACE ALTERNATOR JUST PRIOR BECAUSE MULTI-METER SHOWED LOW OUTPUT AND IT HAD NEVER BEEN REPLACED.
NOW I REPLACED CAMSHAFT SENSOR AND ROUGH IDLING AND OVERHEATING CONTINUE AND SEEM TO BE WORSENING.
CONSIDERING REPLACEMENT OF ONE OR BOTH FAN RELAYS LOCATED ON RADIATOR FAN HOUSING. ALTHOUGH THIS MIGHT FIX THE OVERHEATING PROBLEM, THIS WOULD NOT EXPLAIN THE ROUGH IDLING. ERROR CODE SHOWS MISFIRE IN #1 CYLINDER.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chrysler
Error codes P0300 and P0301. Got a tune up in January of this year, replacing the spark plugs + their wires and coils, new ignition coil and new intake plenum + positive crank case hose.Note, overheating is worst when idling and usually gets better when heater is on (especially at high speeds on the highway). Got new radiator cap and thermostat. Didnt stop the rough idiling, but temporarily fixed the overheating.When alternator was replaced, new alt belt and A/C-PowerSteering belts were also replaced.
12/4/2015
Chrysler Mechanic: Reggie Whiddon,
 replied 2 years ago
Reggie Whiddon

Good morning if your showing a code 301 you have most likely got a misfire which would explain your rough idle and possibly your overheating. Have you had the plugs and wires changed? Are you having to add coolant or is it just running warmer?

At the time of above referenced tune-up in Jan of this year it was throwing error P0340 and, as stated above, plugs and wires were changed at that time along with the other parts mentioned above. The engine will head straight toward H on instrument panel, seemingly randomly. Will have to pull over to side of road and stop engine or turn heater on full blast. Some coolant does escape from overflow but have not needed to add any for about a month due to constant watching of engine temp. I have considered replacement of fan relays but this would not address rough idle problem. Perhaps magnet on camshaft requires replacement or maybe there was some procedure required after replacing the camshaft sensor aside from simply replacing it?
Chrysler Mechanic: Reggie Whiddon,
 replied 2 years ago

Hello sorry for delay, on. Your temp problem have you replaced the thermostat? And on the cam sensor no sir there is no procedure after replacement of sensor and there is no magnet It fires off the end of the cam, they are notorious for failing

Chrysler Mechanic: Reggie Whiddon,
 replied 2 years ago

I suggest to you a cleaning of the throttle body and replacement of the thermostat

Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch, Aftermarket & Factory Electronics