Chrysler

Chrysler Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chrysler

To u H. I just read ur ansa to somebody's central locking

Customer Question
Good evening to u George...
Good evening to u George H. I just read ur ansa to somebody's central locking stopped working all of a sudden on their Chrysler grand voyager. Mine is a 2.5crd 2003 and I have the same problem. I tried the reset by taking the earth off and putting it back but nothing. Whats ur thoughts or suggestions on this. thanks for any help an advice u can give as its doin my head in :) Would just like to knw if there is anything else I can try b4 getting BCM replced. Thanks again. Ty.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chrysler
11/25/2015
Chrysler Mechanic: Pete, Technician replied 2 years ago
Pete, Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

If your central locking isnt working from either door lock switch and none of the locks are locking and unlocking at all this sounds like the common fault of the body control module (BCM) itself.I have seen the BCM fail commonly in some cases and cause issues like this here with it needing replaced unfortunately.

If you have access to a scan tool/computer that will plug into your vehicle and communicate with the BCM you can read the data signals from the BCM to make sure it is receiving input signals from the lock switches.If it is but the locks are not working this usually indicates the BCM is at fault needing replaced.Make sure all fuses are good as well,but if no other electronics are acting up this doesnt sound like a fuse issue here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

how u doin Pete. My door locks work when I open the door with the key but only opens 1 door its the fob that don't work to open car. I had the fob tested and apparently its works but not to open my chrysler it was working 2 days ago?? When I get in I can control the cental locking with the switch inside the car and nothing else seems to be acting up apart from I not able to use the fob to get in or lock the doors? what u reckon on that? Thanks for ur help.

Good,I hope things are well for you.

Have you tried with a second key fob at all to see if a second one works to lock or unlock the vehicle or do you only have one to try and use?

only got one fob. The key is separate from the fob by the way but yeh only got one fob? like I said it was working 2 days ago? what u reckon? Thanks Pete.

If the fob itself checked out o.k. and your interior buttons do work to lock and unlock the doors this indicates that the RKE module (remote keyless entry control module/ecu) is at fault needing replaced and this isnt an issue with the BCM.This is located under the drivers side of the dash and the top dash paenl needs removed to access and replace it.https://www.dropbox.com/s/1pwalp06t8rxpfi/rke-11-25.gif?dl=0.It will need programmed after it is installed.Here is the programming procedure.You might try this procedure now just in case it doesnt need replaced to see if it just needed programmed:

1. Using a functional key fob transmitter, unlock the vehicle and disarm the Vehicle Theft Security System. 2. Insert ignition key into the ignition switch. 3. Turn the ignition switch to RUN position without starting engine. 4. Using a functional key fob transmitter, press and hold the UNLOCK button for a minimum five seconds (maximum ten seconds). 5. While still holding UNLOCK button, and before ten seconds passes, press the PANIC button and release both at the same time. A single chime will sound to verify that the RKE module is set to receive the new Vehicle Access Code(s). 6. Within 30 seconds of the chime, press and release the "LOCK" and "UNLOCK" buttons on the transmitter at the same time. Then press and release any one of the buttons. The BCM will sound an abbreviated chime to acknowledge that the programming of the transmitter has been completed and was successful. 7. Repeat step 6 for all transmitters that will be used with this vehicle (up to 4 total). 8. Programming mode will last for 30 seconds. To get out of programming mode sooner, turn the ignition OFF. A single chime will sound to verify that the RKE module will no longer accept additional Vehicle Access Code(s). 9. When Vehicle Access Code(s) programming is complete, turn the ignition switch to the OFF position and verify RKE system operation using each key fob.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Technician