Chrysler

Chrysler Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chrysler

I have a 2002 Town and Country wheelchair van that is no

Customer Question
longer being driven and am...
I have a 2002 Town and Country wheelchair van that is no longer being driven and am looking to trade it in/sell it to a local mobility specialist. I'm looking to see what a fair value for such a vehicle might be, or at least any tips on what I can do before I take it to them to make sure I get the most money for it. The van details are below. Thanks for the response!
2002 Town and Country
-excellent mechanically, although it does need new batteries which I will do first
-120,000 miles
-Side door power wheelchair lift with suspension that lowers to ground for more level entry.
-Keypad mounted in center that controls many electrical functions including starting the vehicle
-Control unit on left side for low/no effort hand throttle and brake controls. Steering wheel is manual but does have a brace mounted to it to make turning easier. Manual shifter also.
-Wheelchair lock for drivers position and OEM seats mounted on platform that allows regular driving
-Neck support with head actuated buttons that control turn signals, horn, headlights, windows, etc.
-All equipment seems to work fine
***lastly, where might the second battery be located? and should I use a certain kind of battery?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chrysler
11/24/2015
Chrysler Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

You would be better off to try and sell the van outright yourself rather than trade it in. Depending on the van's exact condition, trade in value would range from about $1-2,000 at the most. If you were to sell the van yourself I believe you could get $3-4,000 if it's in good condition.

If a second battery was added with the conversion it would really have to be inside the van somewhere as there isn't room under the hood. It's possible that it could be mounted under the van somewhere but I highly doubt it.

Were you told that it has a second battery or were you assuming so?

I believe all vans like this have two for redundancy..takimg it to a mobility specialist tmrw for sell offers..this van was over 80k new with the additions so we'll see what it gets

Trade in value in good condition shows $750-$1,200. The conversion will add some to the value but the age is the biggest factor in the low value. Current model year wheelchair conversion Town and Country's are running in the mid $40,000's.

If you know what company did the conversion I can research whether there is a second battery. I've dealt with quite a few, most from Braun, and haven't seen one with an added battery.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician