bill
bill, chrysler master tech
Experience:  25 years with chrysler drivability and electrical expert
5203640

I have a 2002 town and Country that has 6 codes on. Po442,

Customer Question

I have a 2002 town and Country that has 6 codes on. Po442, po455, po731,Po846, Po732,Po700. I have no idea what they mean. Is this a major problem that will cost a lot of money to repair?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

ok FIRST thing is a code explanation

the P0455 is evaporative system LARGE leak this can be anything that prevents the fuel system (gas cap fuel filler vapor hose fuel tank etc) from being sealed and allowing the fuel vapors to vent to the atmosphere, this will require a smoke test and some time to properly diagnose, it can be electrical OR mechanical.

the p0442 is evaporative system MEDIUM LEAK and is the same time procedure as the P0455 to find this code often sets before the first code.

P0700 means there is a code in the TRANSMISSION computer and you will need a code reader that can access the transmission computer to get those codes.

P0731 is INCORRECT GEAR RATIO in first gear this can be a ton of things including BUT NOT ALWAYS a bad sensor on the transmission BUT is more often an internal problem with the transmission it means the trans computer detected a slipping clutch pack in FIRST gear the computer expects a certain input and output sensor speed difference in each gear and if it is not in the range the computer is expecting it sets a fault for incorrect gear ratio, you MAY be looking at a transmission overhaul, BUT a good transmission tech will be able to tell NOT a chain shop they are usually looking to lighten your wallet BUT be aware you MAY have internal transmission problems

P0732 is exactly the same as the P0731 except the trans computer detected the slippage in SECOND gear

P0846 is 2-4 or 2C Pressure Switch Rationality, possible causes here are,Pressure Switch harness is open or shorted
- 2/4 Pressure Switch circuit poor electrical connection
- Faulty 2/4 Pressure Switch
- Internal transmission damage
- Faulty Powertrain Control Module (PCM)
- Faulty Transmission Control Module (TCM)
cost to repair these will depend on the labor rate in your area but expect to pay 2 to 3 hours labor for a proper diagnosis, IF you need a transmission or overhaul that's about 2500.00 the evaporative leaks can run the gamut and there is NO way to tell without finding the leak FIRST

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What I want to know is how costly these things would be to repair? Based on the codes do you think the van needs a new transmission?
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

as I said it's impossible to say, remember I cannot inspect the car nor do I know it's history how it shifts OR what area of the country you are in, all of these factors play into what the repair can cost, I am in Connecticut and we see rust all the time and even with low miles like your van if it had any major rust like holes in the body I would recommend replacing the van, why? corrosion ALWAYS adds to the cost as it usually takes much longer to remove/free up anything rusted and any part in question will need to be replaced, as I said in closing a transmission is around 2500.00 that's part and labor.

gear ratio errors are USUALLY a internal transmission fault, and this transmission was NOT heavy duty and if it never had any fluid and filter changes we recommended fluid and filter changes every 60k at the MINIMUM if it is used to tow or always fully loaded then 30 to 45k is the norm, no one can give a firm estimate of cost to repair without actually inspecting the vehicle and performing some basic diagnostics with a proper scan tool.

how does the van shift?

what shape is it in and where in the country are you?

no matter what happens a minimal transmission repair is easily 500.00

abd the evaporative leaks all come into play now too, I just repaired a ruck with evaporative leaks that cost 1500.00 due to corrosion on the fuel tank, USUALLY evaporative leaks run 2 to 300.00 AVERAGE