Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...
Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Aftermarket & Factory Electronics
Experience:  Cert. Chrysler Warnty, Heavy Line Mech, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years
1609972

Clicking sound right behind the guages in 2012 chrysler 300.

Customer Question

clicking sound right behind the guages in 2012 chrysler 300.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Reggie Whiddon replied 1 year ago.

Do all functions of your heater and ac work? Do you notice this noise more so when you have changed temp or positions on air. The reason I am asking a very common problem is an actuator on one of the doors of the hvac module

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Both the heater and ac works. If i turn the ac off the clicking reduces lots. I parked the car and was sitting there a few minutes with the car off and the clicking began even with the car off. Is my car safe to drive?

Yes, it sounds like the actuator for rec mode may be your problem. And yes it is possible for it to make the noise even with key off, but it shouldnt last over a few minutes. And as far as safe to drive, absolutely. If it is the actuator, it is nothing more than an inconvenience and a horrible noise.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just a couple of more questions. Is it safe to use the AC? If i take this to a mechanic is this an expensive repair?

Yes it is safe to use the ac. The noise you are hearing is either a door trying to close or the plastic gears in the actuator, it is agravating as it can be. And as far as expensive, that will depend on which actuator, , some are accessible without pulling of the dash others require you pull the dash, and it could be a door the actuator moves, in that case the dash would have to come out as well as the hvac case and the case disammbled

Best case 120 worst case 1200 or more depending on your local labor rate