sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

On my 2001 pt curser. My back driver side door wont open

Customer Question

On my 2001 pt curser. My back driver side door wont open from inside or outside?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the handles both have normal resistance then you most likely have a failed latch. If one or both handles move with no resistance though you may have a linkage issue. There is a rod that goes from each handle to the latch, held at each end with a plastic clip. If the rod comes off for whatever reason then the latch can't release.

If the handles feel normal, there were no door or striker adjustment issues leading up to this and nothing foreign was closed in the door then the issue is going to be the latch. What would need to be done is remove the door panel to access the latch and linkage. If no issues are found then the latch will need to be broken up/dismantled until the pawl can be moved manually to open the door, and then replace the latch.