Chrysler

Chrysler Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chrysler

Chrysler town & country 3.8 2000 driving ok and then just

Customer Question
stopped and would not start...
chrysler town & country 3.8 2000 driving ok and then just stopped and would not start again everything else is working
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chrysler
11/14/2015
Chrysler Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnwer!

There are quite a few things that will cause a no start condition but I suspect in this case you may have a broken flexplate. If the coil, fuel pressure, cam and crank sensors and the cam itself have been ruled out yet it backfires and doesn't start then you may have a broken flexplate. What will happen is the flexplate breaks at the center where it bolts to the crank, it will shift and then stick in another position in relation to the crank. The crank sensor tone wheel is on the outside of the flexplate so if it breaks and shifts then it will move the tone wheel in relation to the crank itself so cam/crank sensor sync is then incorrect. This will cause intermittent spark or incorrect spark timing, causing what you seem to be describing.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician