Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...
Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Aftermarket & Factory Electronics
Experience:  Cert. Chrysler Warnty, Heavy Line Mech, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years
1609972

2004 Sebring with a 2.7. When I bought it it had horrible

Customer Question

2004 Sebring with a 2.7 . When I bought it it had horrible lifter tap. I have replaced all the lifters. I have also changed the oil. I still have a tap on the rear of the engine on the center cylinder. If I disconnect the coil it runs quieter. I am the engine does not have a miss. I am trying to discern if it is a bad valve, valve seat or a bad valve spring. I was wanting to know if these engines were known to have weak valve springs.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

You have proved the noise is not in the valve train when you disconnected the coil.

I would say if the noise is definitely more quiet, then the noise is probably piston slap or big end bearing knock/rap.

A weak valve spring at idle speed would have the engine misfiring at higher speeds.

And if it has not miss at all, it will not be a valve, valve seat or spring.

Have you done a compression test?

Hope this helps.

Gary

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Nope. It had such horrible lifter tap that I couldn't hear anything else. Got a good deal on lifters $80 and since they were all crushed I replaced them. Just got done and haven't got a chance. It really sounds top end. High pitched instead of the lower tone. I have never been good at compression checks. Do you know the process for his engine. I have had a 2.7 with bearing knock before. It did not sound like this but these engine at an engineering nightmare.

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I feel your pain.

Do you know the service history on this engine?

They appear to be as bad as some of my local cars.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_LH_engine

You could have an oil supply problem, blockage etc.

You could run the engine at idle speed with 2 litres of Kerosene instead of oil, (drop out 2 litres of oil first).

Any then change the oil and filter.

You may find the oil pickup then gets more sludge in the screen.

Gary

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok. I think that may be the problem as well. I will give it a shot. Thanks

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hi Eddie,

If the engine has some miles on it and looked "crudy" etc in the heads, I'd nearly say you may be wasting your time with the engine noise.

The kerosene is a trick I picked up as an apprentice, one of the mechanics at the time did it to all customers cars. He said it keeps the engine clean. Run the engine for 15-20 minutes then drop the oil.

These days the engines run way hotter, and the service interval is longer. Have replaced a lot of engines for this concern.

Gary

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It was clean under the valve covers. I plan on pulling oil pan and checking it

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

Ok.

If you pull the pan, give all the bigends a feel by hand, you may have a bad bearing.

I would kick a couple of mains and rod caps off for inspection.

Gary