camerontech
camerontech, Technician
Experience:  diagnostic auto tech
89602740

Why does my chrysler sebring drain, and ruin a new battery

Customer Question

why does my chrysler sebring drain, and ruin a new battery every 3-4 months?????
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  camerontech replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

My name is ***** ***** I am a licenced diagnostic technician with over 20 years experience.

I will do my best to help you with your automotive problem. Please remember, I cannot see, hear or feel your vehicle which can make diagnosing very complicated and some vehicle require extensive diagnotics that require certain diagnostics computers that can not be done over a computer or phone.Please be patient as I am not online 24 hours a day, as I do work, but I do check my page every day.A positive rating is always appreciated for my time and knowledge to help you with your problem.

2 main reasons a car battery can prematurely fail are a draw or overcharging.

IF there is a draw in the system, the vehicle will constantly be sucking power when the vehicle is not in use. even a 1/2 amp draw can kill a battery in a few days. the alternator will charge the battery again once the car is started but these batteries are not set up for this kind of use. Only a marine deep cycle battery can take constantly being drained and charged like that.

To find a draw, you will need a low amp meter and check the parasitic draw at the terminals when the vehicle is off and has gone into sleep mode. If there is one, than it will have to be chased.

the other is a overcharging alternator. a perfect charge is around 13.5 to 14.1 volts. anything over 15 volts over a long period of time will burn the battery.

the last thing is making sure that it is a good name brand battery.

If you need any more info id be happy to help!

any positive rating is appreciated!

cam