Chrysler

Chrysler Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chrysler

I have a 2010 Sebring that the top will only open about 6

Customer Question
inches...
I have a 2010 Sebring that the top will only open about 6 inches
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chrysler
Asked this question about 2 hours ago. No answere yet. 2010 Sebring touring model, top opens about 6 inches and stops will close no problem
10/26/2015
Chrysler Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to Justanswer!

Depending on what you're actually seeing it could be a mechanical issue, electrical or hydraulic. There may be a mechanical issue where a damaged component is preventing the top from moving, it may be low on fluid due to a leak and the pump isn't able to continue to move the top, or the power top control module may be seeing an issue with the state of one of the microswitches and is suspending operation.

Does the pump continue to run when the top stops?

Not sure if it's the pump or not it still makes noise when the top stops. Acquired the car from my fiancé's x. She hit a curb and damaged under the passengers door. Wondering if there is hydraulic lines in that area. The hydraulic system is a sealed system I assume so if it's low on fluid there is a leak somewhere??
Will check back for an answer in the am. Thanks in advance

There are no lines in the door area, they're all in the trunk/rear area where the top components are.

I you do hear the ump continuing to run and it won't move then the fluid may be low and the first thing that should be done is check the fluid level. Te pump and reservoir are behind the trim panel at the rear of the trunk in the striker area. If the fluid is low then there is a leak in a cylinder, line or the pump/reservoir itself.

Is there anything special that needs to be done to put fluid in the pump? Saw stuff online saying that the pumps under the back seat needed to be turned to fill it. Also would all leaks mentioned be in that area?

The trim panel at the rear of the trunk needs to be removed, the pump bracket is unbolted and the pump turned on it's right end to access the fill hole. The system uses ARAL VITAMOL ZH-M fluid.

If the pump itself is leaking then you'll see the leak in that area or possibly if a line is damaged in that area, but it's more likely to be a cylinder leaking, the cylinders are connected to the top itself.

Thanks hopefully we will have time to get a look at it this week. Another question is there any motor that runs anything for the top or are we hearing the hydraulic pump? There is also a small dent in the trunk maybe that caused the problem
I think I signed up for monthly billing don't really need that how do I cancel. Thanks

There is motor for the header latch but it's not going to still be running at that time. If it's moving six inches and then stops the only thing that's going to be running is the pump motor.

If you have any questions regarding your account or billing you'd want to contact customer service.

Thanks have a great day

You're welcome!

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician