Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

My 1998 T&C Lxi at cruising speed will occasionally have a

Customer Question

Hi, My 1998 T&C Lxi at cruising speed will occasionally have a low level shudder of about a second duration that I describe as a higher frequency than a rumble strip and much lower amplitude. This may occur again in a minute or not for five minutes. What can it be? Have 185,000 on the vehicle with now prior problems. Thanks
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 2 years ago.

Hi there. Welcome to our site.

Since it is virtually impossible to diagnose this type of concern from my perspective, I advice my customers to take their vehicles to a repair facility that specializes in diagnosing and repairing noise/vibration/harshnes (NVH) issues such as the one you're experiencing in your van. Most of these shops use a tool called ChassisEAR that has a six-position input selection control switch with six microphone clamps that are attached to 16-foot leads that can be affixed to key components in the vehicle chassis, drive train, steering and suspension.

The ChassisEAR provides instant comparisons between any of the six channels during the road test, all of which enables the technician to pinpoint the source of the concern, thus eliminating guessing.

Best Regards.