Chrysler

Chrysler Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chrysler

I have a Chrysler PT Cruiser 2006. Getting both P0685 and

Customer Question
P0340 fault codes. What do...
I have a Chrysler PT Cruiser 2006. Getting both P0685 and P0340 fault codes. What do these mean?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chrysler
I replaced all spark plugs and the Camshaft Position Sensor.
10/4/2015
Chrysler Mechanic: Robert R, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 28+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

I am researching this concern for you and will get back with you as soon as possible, Thanks for your patience while I gather the information needed for your answer. Please post a reply so that I know that you still need help and to get your question back on my "Waiting for Response" list. Your understanding is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Robert

I still need help. Thank you in advance.

Hello, Sorry for the delay....

The P0340 is for the Cam Sensor Circuit. The P0685 is for ASD Relay Circuit. A problem with the ASD Could trigger the P0340 so I Highly recomend to diagnose the P0685 first.

I'm posting the procedures for these two codes, read through them thoroughly so you can see the possibilities and possible special tools that may be needed. Sometimes you can get around the special tools other times not.

If you need help with a step by step walk through in getting this diagnosed, let me know, I can submit an additional service offer for personalized diagnostic help. This would include an additional charge for this service. Let me know if interested....

Here are the two diagnostic procedures for you:

P0340 Click here to view

P0685 Click here to view

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Robert

____________________________________________

If you need additional information, don't hesitate to ask. If I have answered your question, Please kindly"Rate" my service, it is greatly appreciated.

Thank you and thanks for asking your question!

Robert

Ok. I replaced the Camshaft Position Sensor, and for the moment, the codes were blank yet the car won't start. Then after about an hour, the P0340 error code came back along with the P0685 error code. The battery is fully charged, and anything that was removed today in the process of replacing the Camshaft Position Sensor, has been put back on the car. Also, all the spark plugs have been changed. I checked the fuses, but didn't see any issues there, but I don't know if I could have missed something or not.

I would start by double checking the fuses, the Diagnostic chart includes a wiring diagram showing the fuses that you need to pay special attention to, replace if necessary and retry. If still no start, you will need to follow the flowchart for the P0685 code. It could also be the ASD relay itself, try swapping it with a nearby relay to see if that helps...

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Swapping with nearby relay?

I'm posting a diagram of the underhood area of the PT. Driver side area firewall is the ASD and Starter Relays, try swapping these 2 relays to see if there are any changes....

Click to view pic

Thank you,

Robert

You are talking about the relays on the ECM? And after swapping them, try to start the car right?
or see if there are new codes present?

Yes, these relays should be near the ECM. Yes, try to start it after swapping them. If it won't crank at all now, then it means that likely the ASD relay is bad and now since it is in the Starter Relay position it may not even crank. If this is the case, replace the faulty relay and all should be good..

Thank you,

Robert

______________________________________

Remember, RATING is REQUIRED to credit me for helping you! -- Please don't forget to Rate my service as OK Service or better. It's only then that I am credited... A "Poor" or "Bad Service" rating does not automatically result in a refund so if you would rather have a refund, please reply and let me know BEFORE rating and I will submit a refund request with Customer Service on your behalf...

Please keep in mind, If you are not happy with your answer and you need additional info, please ask "before" you Rate my Answer.

Please remember that this site operates on the honor system... Making sure that your expert is paid for your answer is GREATLY appreciated and is what allows experts to continue working for you and others...

I can't tell which are the relays i'm looking for. One set of two relays is directly beside the ECM. The other set of two are larger than the others but aren't really connected to to anything. Just kind of hanging.

Can you take pics of the area in question and post them here? I can point the correct ones out for you....

">Click Here for Document Upload Instructions<

If your browser does not show the "Toolbar", try using FireFox or Internet Explorer. Otherwise, you can post the files to your favorite file sharing site (Photobucket, Dropbox, etc.) and post the links to your pictures here so I can view them.

Sorry for any inconvenience but remember "A picture is worth a thousand words" and it will help greatly for the most accurate answer possible....

Thank you,

Robert

Those should be the relays in question, swap those two and see what happens. These relays are basically universal relays, that's why they show up as radiator fan relays on the search results...

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

This is an automated response that was scheduled when I posted my answer. I just wanted to check in with you to see if you need more help with your concern. A non rated question normally times out within 7 days, so I wanted to stay in contact with you to see if the problem has been solved.

If I have helped you resolve your concern and you have already rated my response, I want to say "Thanks!", and let you know you can still follow up on this concern if needed. Also to let you know you can bookmark My Profile Page (Bookmark this link) in case you have another automotive question in the future. Make sure to begin your question with "Robert R" so I will be able to easily find it.

If we are still working on your concern, please post a reply so we can continue.

If you are happy with my answer and have not rated my response, please do so asap to complete the transaction. It is greatly appreciated as I recieve no compensation until you do so...

If your not satisfied with my answer, BEFORE rating, please post a reply with a short explanation as to why. I may have a better explanation for you... It also helps me to refine my answers to help future customers more thoroughly and efficiently.

My goal is to answer your question to your complete satisfaction, and would like to earn your business now and in the future.

Thank you and thanks for using JustAnswer!

Robert

Robert R
Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Technician