Chris
Chris, Technician
Experience:  30 years certified Chrysler technician, smog license Certified Master Technician
12365498

I have a 2000 300m the brakes fade, go to the floor after

Customer Question

I have a 2000 300m the brakes fade, go to the floor after drive for a while front brakes get very hot. in the morning the brakes seem fine,I just bought the car they said they just put on new brakes
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer. If the pedal goes to the floor, then you have a failing master cylinder or ABS Hydraulic Control Unit. Either one can cause this. Have the Master cylinder checked out at a shop and replaced if it fails the test. If it is ok, then have the ABS Hydraulic Control Unit replaced.

I hope that this information is helpful.

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
even if they only go to the floor when hot the masted dose not bleed down slowly if you press and hold they only fail when hot will the bad abs cause the front brakes to over heat
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Yes the fail8ng ABS unit would cause them to be applied a bit and then cause overheating.

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how do diagnose the abs control unit it self before replacing it I have no abs light that is on or a check engine light will an obd II give me a code for a bad abs unit how can i bleed the abs unit ect
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Well there are really only 2 things that can cause a pedal to the floor condition. 1 the master cylinder, and 2 the HCU. If you are sure that the master cylinder is ok, then it must be the HCU. To properly bleed the system, you should use a capable scan tool that can actuate the solenoids in the HCU. So 1 do a normal brake bleed, then 2 actuate the solenoids with the scan tool, and then 3 do another brake bleed. Actuating the solenoids allows any trapped air bubbles to be bled out.

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If the calipers are not releasing do to improper install and getting very hot can that cause the brake fluid to boil and the brakes fade and pedal go to the floor... could this be possible?
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Yes that is possible. Do you see signs of the rotors overheating? Are the rotors bluish in color?

Chris