Clayso
Clayso, Master Automobile Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Automobile Technician. 30 Years Experience.
77147243

My power steering went out as i was driving, first when

Customer Question

hi, my power steering went out as i was driving, first when tried to make a quick turn i noticed the steering stick than it would loosen up, when i got home i checked the fluid level and it was full, so i started turning the wheels from side to side and now there is no power steering at all, my vehicle is a 99 plymouth voyager, 2.4 L engine and it has 195000 miles.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Clayso replied 1 year ago.

Hi There, I'm Clayso a certified master automobile technician with 30 years of automotive repair and diagnostic experience.

From your description most likely the screen in the power steering fluid reservoir is plugged up. The screen can't be cleaned, it's to fine and is not sold seperate from the reservoir. Replacing the reservoir is the only way to get around it when the screen is clogged up. Once the screen and reservoir has been replaced have the power steering system professionally flushed. Simple drain and fills will not clear all of the debris from the system. Hopefully the pump or rack and pinion has not been damaged. Flushing the system is very important, this removes any debris and contaminates from the inner walls of the hoses, pump and from the rack.

I hope this information is helpful to you. Should you have any questions please let me know.
Kindly rate my assistance in a positive manner so I may have credit for helping you.
Positive ratings are greatly appreciated.
Thanks so much.