Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ years experience as automotive store manager and technician.
3195632

My 2007 town and country has been losing freon, probably

Customer Question

My 2007 town and country has been losing freon, probably behind the dash (no one can find the leak). Now when i put freon in the compressor seizes up. I just want to know how much this will cost to fix and/alternatively, how much I can sell the car for if I can't fix it.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.
HI,
Ok, first, does yours have rear ac? I ask because there is a known issue
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it does.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I took the van to the dealer twice, and they said that the problem wasn't related to any known issues.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Still there?
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.
HI,
Yes, still here - trying to type out the answer, and for some reason when you post another reply it is deleting my reply box so I have to start over - guess some glitch in the site
Ok, most of the time it is a leak in the rear evaporator. They need to check it using a ac sniffer thru the rear vents and if needed remove the rear 1/4 trim panel to inspect it for leak dye.
Rear evaporator is $408 for the part and is 2.7 hours labor, about $270 - total about $678
If the compressor is bad at this point, to replace it and the accumulator, will run around $800 parts and labor.
So potential of around $1500 if the compressor has now failed
Now if it is the front evaporator, it is $310 for the part and 8.1 hours labor, $810, so total about $1120 for it. IF compressor has failed, then about $1900 total
As to how much you can get without repairing it, I to know the mileage and overall condition of the vehicle
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The van has about 47k miles on it. It has some scratches on it, and the driver's side door had to get pounded out once when it got hit while it was open, but the interior is pretty good (I use the van to transport dogs so the seats have been stowed for almost the whole life of the car.) So say average.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When they tried to fill it with freon, they said the compressor was still kicking on. I don't know what that means. It isn't cooling.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well, you seem to have disappeared again. I appreciate the prices.
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.
HI,
That means that the compressor is engaging. Doesnt always mean it works correctly, but the clutch coil is still at least kicking in.
Ok, it has a retail value in the $7000 to $8500 range, which with ac not working and potential high cost repair, you could sell it for around $5500 to $6000.
Trade in value if you trade in on another vehicle is about $4000
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay. That's very helpful. What would you do, or are you allowed to say? I'm trying to weigh the cost of the fix against getting another van. The dogs need the air conditioning!
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.
HI,
It depends on 2 factors -
Is it paid off and is the engine and transmission in good shape?
If the answer to both is yes, I would keep it and have it repaired.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I think they're fine. And it's paid off. It does have this annoying recurring problem with the abs light randomly coming on and the abs engaging. Haven't had much luck fixing that either. But it's certainly not serious.
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.
HI,
Then I would keep it. Although potentially an expensive repair at $1900, think of it in terms of a car payment over a 12 month period. It comes to $158. Cant get a new vehicle with a payment that low. Just think in long term view and it makes sense to keep it and repair it.
Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay, thanks.
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.
HI,
You are welcome and have a great day!