Chrysler

Chrysler Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chrysler

I have a chrysler concorde 2003 that has a overheating

Customer Question
hi i have a chrysler...
hi i have a chrysler concorde 2003 that has a overheating problem. parts changed: new radiator, new thermostat new hoses new over flow bottle and heater hose assembly. the part i have.not changed is the water pump. can this be my problem? thanks.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chrysler
9/1/2015
Chrysler Mechanic: Jon, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Jon
Jon, ASE Certified Technician

Hi, does this vehicle overheat within 10 minutes?

i also changed the coolant when i changed the radiator and thermostat

I've done this myself before and wound up replacing an engine and everything else in the cooling system needlessly before I figured out the problem. Did you install the thermostat with the spring facing the block or facing the thermostat housing?

i thing it was facing the engine block

That's where it should be but it can go either way. The neck of the housing will let it go in backwards. It could be the water pump for sure though, they have a plastic impeller that can crack and freewheel on the pump shaft. If you're pretty sure you put the thermostat in correctly, I'd go after the water pump next and buy a timing belt while you're there. Not sure how many miles you have but the timing belt is due at 100k anyway.

Hi, have you figured out the problem?

Jon
Jon
Jon, ASE Certified Technician