Dodgerench
Dodgerench, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30+ years Dodge/ Chrysler exp., ASE Master with L1 certification. Driveability/ combustion specialist
4486286

I put the scanner on my truck and it says po406 egr flow

Customer Question

I put the scanner on my truck and it says po406 egr flow sensor a ckt high input what is it
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer!. This is Ed.

The P0406 code is a cut-n-dried message to replace your EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) valve, located on the front of the passenger side cylinder head. A pintle position sensor built into the EGR valve chronically wears out, producing a "volts high" code like yours. Contacts on the position sensor are dragged along a varying resistance grid, suffering wear as time goes on and when the contacts wear out, you get this P0406- EGR position sensor volts high trouble code. If you were to compare it to another sort of common failure, I'd choose brake shoes -- they just plain wear out with time.

Replacement is fairly easy, requiring only the new EGR valve and a fiber gasket that is placed between the EGR body and the transfer tube. Your tool list is also short, requiring only a 10mm socket and ratchet, with a 3" extension. The transfer tube is fastened with two 8mm (5/16") screws.

Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.

I don't have a parts cost breakdown, but expect the two pieces to run $100 or a little less.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will change it tomorrow and hope it will fix the problem
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will get back to you
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.

OK. I'll be here.

Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.

If at all possible, try to get a factory unit. Aftermarket EGRs don't tend to hold up well in my experience.