Chrysler

Chrysler Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chrysler

I have a 2010 Chrysler Town and Country. Yesterday while I

Customer Question
was parked in a parking...
I have a 2010 Chrysler Town and Country. Yesterday while I was parked in a parking lot with it running the windshield wipers started running on their own at the same time all of the dashboard indicator dummy lights came on the van was still running I started
driving it and the instrument panel was not working including speedometer gauges radio heater etc. Yet the windshield wipers continue to run and I could not turn them off. the odometer read po5. When I shut the key off there was a little red light that came
on in between the the speedometer and the Tachometer. I tried removing the negative cable from the battery to attempt to reset it but did no good.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chrysler
8/31/2015
Chrysler Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Your CAN interior high speed bus network went down for whatever reason. This is the network that all interior modules communicate on. When communication isn't possible then the instrument cluster will light the warning lamps for the modules not communicating, the lights and wipers come on for safety

There are quite a few things that could be causing the problem and it will take some electrical testing at the time it's acting up to know exactly what is going on. The failure could be in any module or it could be an issue on either of the bus circuits. If either of the circuits short to power or ground it will prevent communication. It will first need to be determined whether the bus is shorted high or low or whether it's shorted at all. If the TIPM isn't communicating with any modules yet the bus voltages are good then the TIPM can be condemned. If the bus is shorted then fuses can be removed to see if the voltage drops, modules can be disconnected, if the short doesn't go away with all modules unplugged then there is a wiring issue.

Ok thank you. Is it possible to put that in layman's terms for a woman who has no idea what you're talking about. in other words it's not just like a blown fuse. Is it safe to drive it

No, it isn't a blown fuse. You have a wiring problem or a failure in a module that is preventing communication between modules.

If communication goes down then you aren't going to have a speedometer or turn signals. It's safe to drive to an extent and isn't going to damage the van but you're not going to want to drive without turn signals and the speedometer any more than absolutely necessary.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician