Chrysler

Chrysler Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chrysler

I have a 2008 Chrysler Sebring with the 2.7L engine. Two

Customer Question
days go, I hear this...
I have a 2008 Chrysler Sebring with the 2.7L engine. Two days go, I hear this on and off again metal to metal sound while driving the car. I jack the car up, remove the tire, start the car(brakes & Rotors functioning) put in drive. It appears that where the transmission meets the other side of the CV assembly, the unit is rubbing the tranny housing. There is very little room between where the shaft is connected and the housing. I also noticed that a metal washer like piece, which could be a bearing cover or seal, was separated from whatever it was attached to. I reached in with a screwdriver and could actually move and spin it. By the way, there is no fluid leaking at all! I put the car back in drive and heard the noise. Just for my satisfy my own curiosity, I sprayed a small amount of a lubricant into the troubled area and the noise stopped. It will start making noise once the lubricant wears off.
You an see that the shaft assembly isn't perfectly centered and is laying on the housing.
Could replacing the entire CV Joint and drive assembly shaft, fix the problem or am I looking at a bearing or some issue inside the transmission, which will be a super expensive fix?
Thanks,
Peter
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chrysler
8/21/2015
Chrysler Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
The repair is going to be a bit deeper than just replacing the CV shaft but hopefully it won't be major.
It's possible that the axle seal has popped out and is spinning with the shaft but if that was the case then you should have a substantial leak. If it isn't leaking fluid then it's not likely to be the axle seal.
What may have happened is the outer portion of the axle seal broke and is now moving freely/spinning with the axle.
I question whether there is a deeper issue since you mentioned the shaft isn't centered and seems to be laying down. If the shaft is actually touching part of the trans and you can see wear marks then there is an issue there. A bearing failure in the differential section of the trans is possible but not likely, it would be more likely to be the axle itself or an issue inside the differential carrier. Being able to actually see it would be beneficial, but I'm not sure there is an issue there either because if the axle actually wasn't where it shoudl be then it also should be causing a leak.
sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician