bill
bill, chrysler master tech
Experience:  25 years with chrysler drivability and electrical expert
5203640

I just purchased a pt cruiser from private party. (2006) its

Customer Question

I just purchased a pt cruiser from private party. (2006) its a convertible. The engine check light. Came on had it reset but showed problems with cadalytic converter. Can't get smogged. Mechanic said sticker should be on engine that shows settings. Without that he doesn't even show what model I have. Small pt cruiser convertible. What should I do?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

if you can send the vin I can look up the emissions package the car originally came with

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Vin # ***** *****
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

thank you give me a few minutes to look up the option list

Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

OK the ENGINE SIZE IS 2.4 the emissions code is EDZ which is a California emissions package, co the replacement catalytic converter must meet California emissions standards, there was only 1 auto trans available and that was the 41TE 4 speed automatic.

if your mechanic must have the emissions label which shows this information it must be ordered via a Chrysler dealer with the vin.

I can provide a copy of the build sheet on your car if you want it will show all options the vehicle came with.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need to contact the mechanic give him the info you gave me. I don't think he really wants to do this. I'm searching for someone else. I was told to go to muffler shop which I did. How much should this cost me approx. I have to know before I can go any further
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Bill
My husband just told me that the mechanic didn't want to do this. Now starting all over looking for another mufler shop. Is this true it could cost 1,000 to fix or replace catalytic converter?
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

without me physically inspecting your car I can only give a general estimate, ASSUMING the remaining exhaust system is in excellent shape and can be saved, the California cat converter will run AROUND 600.00 for the part expect another 50.00 for miscellaneous things like gaskets and clamps plus any hardware needed, also roughly 100.00 each for the needed o2 sensors, these are screwed into the exhaust and give the car vital information for emissions and fuel control, while not 100% needed every time I am in new England and we have to deal with salt and rust, these sensors should last 100,000 miles or 10 years and you are very likely at that mark, labor should be 1.5 hours, I distrust chain muffler shops for this work since they use only the cheapest parts to make the bill lower but in the long run you end up paying far more since these parts rarely last as long as the better quality ones and you end up paying multiple times for a repair, in your state of California (that's where the information on your car said the LAST owner resided and where the car was shipped and registered) you should have quite a few shops that can help you if your regular mechanic feels this is out of their area, so I would call around a few and get a few written estimates with guarantee and time line so you can compare, just be aware the lowest is rarely the best, ***** ***** an estimate that lists clamps hardware and gaskets as well as the part plus any labor.

Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.
the cat converter is expensive one of the more expensive parts on your car and critical for clean emissions, the biggest reason it is so expensive is the precious metals inside it including platinum and rodiduim, it is also encased in stainless steel and has to withstand temps as high as 700 degrees, it is warrantied for 8 years or 80,000 miles by federal law because it is a critical emissions component, your PT however has passed the federal warranty by time, a cat converter USUALLY will last over 100k as long as the car is properly maintained, the BIGGEST killer of cat converters is misfires where excessive fuel is sent into the exhaust making the cat run hotter than it should, the #1 cause of misfires is improper maintenance, your PT needs to have it's spark plugs replaced every 30,000 miles and it's ignition wires replaced every 60,000 miles.
while the PT was a nice car it IS a bit more to maintain than some other cars this is because it has a very tight engine bay and is a small car, this requires more time to do some regular things, and since all mechanic have to charge by the amount of time a job takes the cost is higher, parts are also a bit higher since even though this car shares SOME components with the NEON it has many unique parts just made for the PT.
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.
following up to see if you still need assistance