Vipertech
Vipertech, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  11 years of Factory Dodge, Jeep and Chrysler training
3256298

Replaced the starter in '05 pt cruiser 1 month ago Check

Customer Question

Replaced the starter in '05 pt cruiser 1 month ago Check engine light came on pulled code get p00700 for ecu trans error battery was disconneted for about 2 hours
Category: Chrysler
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
During replacing starter after reconnecting speedomiter didn't work dis connected neg. terminal for one hour everything was fine until now
Expert:  Vipertech replied 2 years ago.

The next step is that you need to get a scanner that can access the TCM to get any codes that are there. The P0700 will be in the PCM which just basically tells you to go to the TCM to find out what the code is. Otherwise we would be guessing at this point without a code. Once you have the code let me know so that I can help you further.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
went to go get scanner transmission will not shift up or down properly revving up to 4500 rpm not shifting out of first
Expert:  Vipertech replied 2 years ago.

Actually its most likely in limp in mode which would be second gear only. There will be a code.....that will be the next step.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
just ordered a scanner on amazon will be monday
Expert:  Vipertech replied 2 years ago.

cool. Just make sure it can read the trans codes. you can also drive it up to your local parts store and have them pull the codes. You can drive it but at speeds less that 45mph and no long distances. If you have one near by then thats an option as well.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
parts store is 3 miles away would that be a problem
Expert:  Vipertech replied 2 years ago.

That should not be an issue. Just keep below 45mph and you will be fine.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
While he didn't give the exact codes he said it read high trans temp and trottle positionng sensor
Expert:  Vipertech replied 2 years ago.
yeah...code numbers would have helped. Usually the trans temp code would not have set the light or limp in. The trans temp most likely just from driving it in limp mode. Which isn't an issue for short periods of times. The TPS code should have been in the PCM, usually not the TCM. Makes me wonder how accurate it was when they checked it. Did they clear the codes for you before sending you on your way?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
reset codes told me the tps would not be sending proper shift commands
Expert:  Vipertech replied 2 years ago.
how did it drive on the way home.....back to limp in mode? also....is this a turbo model 2.4? Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Went back to limp mode light came back on 2.4 B vin
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Oh drove fine on the way there
Expert:  Vipertech replied 2 years ago.

TPS issues are common on the turbo 2.4 PT cruisers. I havent seen many issues with the non-turbos. Most of the times its the connector for the TPS. When you removed the starter.....did you remove the intake for any reason?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No just the air box and battery . Battery was disconnected for about 3 hrs had to wait for rain
Expert:  Vipertech replied 2 years ago.

Being disconnected shouldn't have caused any issues. Wish they had given you the code #. There are too many different TPS codes. I should have mentioned that to you....thats my fault. Try this.....with the engine running......grap the TPS connector and try to wiggle it and see if you hear anything different in the way the engine runs/idles. We are looking for any increase or decrease in RPM.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No changes. I also changed the fan relays because the a/c was bogging the engine
Expert:  Vipertech replied 2 years ago.

The a/c bogging the engine could be the radiator fan assembly. The fan has 2 separate windings for 2 different speeds. One can go out without you noticing except with the a/c on. Will not cool at stop lights....bogs to the engine down....etc. Fan assembles are about the most common issues with the PT cruiser. I would like to see what the scanner you ordered says when it gets here. That way we have a code number and then have a plan of attack.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
will be here monday gotta love amazon prime not too mention the low prices . the trans problem as well as the a/c seems to be intermitant a/c seems the hotter it is the better it seems to work second time with the a/c first was around 40,000 now have 72,000 Just checking the tps plug sweating my butt off heat index 105
Expert:  Vipertech replied 2 years ago.

Cool. I dont use amazon much....just a few times now and then. Guess I'm old school Ebay lol. In the mean time feel free to check out my youtube channel that covers alot of PT Cruiser repairs. I have over 240 videos and I did organize the PT Cruiser videos to help you to find them. The channel can be reach at motorcitymechanic.com . Let me know what you think. Otherwise I will keep an eye out for your reply after the scanner comes in.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Got all the codes p0122 ,p0123, p0124, p0218, p0562, p0714, p0891 . Light went out yesterday am seems to be shifting fine for now
Expert:  Vipertech replied 2 years ago.

Lets clear all the codes for now this way if it does set the light again we will be starting fresh.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Did it again same codes but didn't stay in limp mode shifted hard
Expert:  Vipertech replied 2 years ago.

Bare with me....going to take some time to research each code and find the time to as well. I will get back with you as soon as I can, maybe later this evening but I promise to get back.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks
Expert:  Vipertech replied 2 years ago.

dont mention it. Any time

Expert:  Vipertech replied 2 years ago.

okay....we have 3 tps codes and then the trans codes. I cant say for sure that both systems are related as far as codes. The tps codes have 3 possible causes.....tps sensor, pcm, or wiring/connectors. If it was a turbo engine then I would recommend the tps sensor and connector. If it happens all the time then it would be easy to determine, the fact that it sometimes happens.......that makes it hard. There comes a point when you have to try something while checking.....such as a tps sensor. It just depends. I'm attaching the tests for P0122.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What would I set a multi meter to for testing
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Got a code of p0129 as well as p0122 and p0123 today