Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

Chrysler PT Cruiser: 2005 Pt Cruiser not turbo Alternator

Customer Question

2005 Pt Cruiser not turbo
Alternator is not charging..engine light is on as well as the battery light
diagnostic codes P0622 and P0032
Have already replaced the computer, the oxgen sensor and auto shutdown relay
I also have taken the alternator out and had it checked.
Still alternator is not charging the battery. I suspect something wrong with either green or black wire coming from the alternator but do not know method to which proceed. I belive they both go from alternator to computer.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 2 years ago.
Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.I will do my best to assist youi can give you a wire diagram so you can do some testing,,will that help you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes as long as I know what to test. At this point I do not know what I am looking for.
ok..please stand by,i will upload ,,this will take a few minutes
PLEASE COPY AND PASTE the link below to your browser, I have uploaded more info on this there please copy and paste the link below to your main browser[INTERNET EXPLORER or FIREFOX].https://www.dropbox.com/s/npe7f3atbdl7045/0722-pt-CHARGING%20SYSTEM.doc?dl=0.if the link doesn’t work that way, try it this waythanks.www.dropbox.com/s/npe7f3atbdl7045/0722-pt-CHARGING%20SYSTEM.doc?dl=0. If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This seems to be generic info. Grounds have been cleaned and reattached, alternator has been pulled out and tested, belt is tight- all of the inspections listed were completed before we changed the computer. All fuses were checked, auto shutdown relay replaced.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
On the diagram titled 2.4L except turbo in reference to the two wires numbers 1 and 2 : one goes from the generator to a label G102 what is that? Is it ground? The other appears to go to the PCM. I know one is black and the other green, which is which?
sorry,,storm here,,lost internet
you there?
g102 is a ground reference,,not much i can do from here if you have a wire problem other than give you diagram..you need to make sure that alternator is good,,there is nothing left except the wiringPLEASE COPY AND PASTE the link below to your browser, I have uploaded more info on this there please copy and paste the link below to your main browser[INTERNET EXPLORER or FIREFOX].https://www.dropbox.com/s/imnrn77q0p0bf61/0722-pt2-8w.doc?dl=0.if the link doesn’t work that way, try it this waythanks.www.dropbox.com/s/imnrn77q0p0bf61/0722-pt2-8w.doc?dl=0. If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How do I find out which one is bad?i assume the black one is the ground meaning this wire goes directly to chassis ground. Is that correct? The other wire is green it appears as though it goes to directly to the computer. Is this correct? What is the procedure to diagnose which one is the problem?http://www.musical.ly/v/MzMzMDE4Mjg5NTg0.html
you need to ohm the wires from the alternator to the computer with an ohmmeter,,this will let you know if there wires are connecting all the way from the alternator to the computer
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
In order to do this I need to cut the casing off the harness to find the wires? And how do I know which are the correct wires? There appears to be more than 80 wires in 4 connectors going to the computer
no,,just ohm the wires at the alternator plug,then at the computer,,if it ohms,you know that the wire is making connection all the way through
the diagram shows the wire color
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Exactly Where am I putting the black lead and where am I putting the red lead
it doesnt matter when ohming,,all you are doing is checking continuity
making sure the wire is good all the way from the alternator to the computer..so,it doesnt matter whick end the red or black leads are onthanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok. We have a miscommunication. I need to know exactly where to put the red lead and the black lead from the ohm meter. All I have access to is the green end and the black end that go into the alternator
you check the green wire at the alternator,and the green at the computer,,it doesnt matter what lead,,set your meter to ohm
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I do not have the other end at the computer. It is one of 4 connectors with 80 plus wires that is wrapped. How do I know which one it is
look at the diagram..it will be the same color
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Your answer is to look at the diagram however it does not tell me what I need to know by looking at that with the abbreviations I assume dog is dark green, but my question is how do I know which wire is dark green when they are wrapped in a bundle and I don't know which connector at the computor has the dark green one in it
stand by,,i may have a pin out of the plug to the computer..
yes..you will need to use the diagram..i can not tell you where a wire is damaged,,im not there
i dont have a pin-out,,sorry
yes dg means dark green,,
for instans,,ohm the dg at the alternator and the dg at the computer #19 pin C2
make sure the wire is getting conection
check the other wire the same way.
you may want to double check that alternator if there isnt a problem with the wiring and sense you have already replaced the computer,,the regulator is in the computer on this one