Chrysler

Chrysler Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chrysler

I have a 2006 town and country and the ac is blowing hot air.

Customer Question
It was fine until I...
I have a 2006 town and country and the ac is blowing hot air. It was fine until I took it to the dealership for work. They fixed the other issue, but now the air is hot. Do you think it is something they did or is it a coincidence that it broke at the same time? Should I recharge it myself?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chrysler
7/21/2015
Chrysler Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 2 years ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
HI,
What was the other work that was done by the dealership? Without knowing that, it is impossible to say whether or not it is related
While I was letting the car idle in the driveway to recharge the battery (the battery died and I had AAA jump the car to get it going), the cooling fan stopped due to a bad relay and the car overheated. Smoke was coming out of the hood and water was leaking out. The dealership fixed the fan relay and flushed the coolant out.
HI,
Check to see if the fans are running with the ac on. If not, then there is a potential issue with their repair
When the ac is on, there is definitely a strong flow of air coming out all of the vents, but the air is warm, not cold. I can't visually see any fans running, but can I assume since the air is coming out, that means the fans are running?
HI,
I am sorry, I should have been more specific. You want to check the fans in the engine compartment to see if they are both running with the AC on.
None of the fans in the engine compartment are visible to me. Is there a way, other than visually seeing the fans turn, to know if they are running or not running?
HI,
Pop the hood, and stand by the front bumper at the center. With the ac off, have someone crank the engine. Listen for a few seconds, then have that person turn the ac on while you listen. You should hear the compressor engage and then hear the fan engage and start running. So you should hear 2 different sounds when the ac is turned on
I did what you said. I did not hear the compressor engage. I did hear the fan. In other words, I only heard one sound when the ac was turned on. What does that mean?
HI,
Ok, this means no signal to the compressor, which could be from it being disconnected during their other work, faulty compressor relay, faulty control panel, faulty ac pressure switch.
If you have a voltmeter we can do some testing, otherwise, at this point, it needs testing done by a shop
Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks
I do not have a volt meter but I could buy one (but I won't be able to do this until Monday due to my work). Will a cheap one be good enough?
HI,
yes, it will. As long as it has setting for both DC 12v and ohms, it will work
OK - I will buy one on Monday. Let me know what I should do with it?
HI,
Once you have it, let me know and we will go thru the testing one thing at a time.
I dont want to throw all the tests and associated wiring diagrams and connector pinouts at you at one time as it can be a bit overwhelming. Unless you are used to reading schematics that may crossover several pages and used to electrical diagnostics, it is a bit easier doing one step at a time.
Hi Eric. I have the volt meter. Let me know what I should do. Thanks
HI,
Ok, give me a few minutes to pull the schematics
HI,Ok, first, with ac on, check for 12v at the dark blue with yellow striped wire on the compressor harness connector.If power is there, then compressor clutch failed. If no power, in the engine compartment fuse box, swap the horn relay with the ac relay and see if it comes on, also check that fuse 18 is good.(see attached diagram for fuse and relay locations which are highlighted) If fuse is good and swapping relays doesnt turn on the compressor, let me know and we will test for power to the relay socket
Hi Eric. The steps you outlined far exceed my abilities with regards ***** ***** Therefore, I went in another direction and bought one of those cans of 134a refrigerant. Even though the can did not fill the unit totally, the air coming out is definitely colder. The vents on the right hand side of the car (when you are sitting in the passenger seat) are blowing out cold air, the vents on the left hand side of the car (driver side) are blowing out ambient air. Do you think it is as simple as putting more of the 134a refrigerant in the air conditioning unit?
HI,
The left side vents are further away from the evaporator than the passengers side, so it might just take a tad more refrigerant. If you bought the cans that have the actual pressure gage, you are looking for 26 to 35psi with ac engaged. Without evacuating system and weighing the refrigerant, that is the closest way to get to the correct amount of refrigerant in the system
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager