Chrysler

Chrysler Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chrysler

Chrysler p: My 2008 Chrysler pt cruiser won't start. I have

Customer Question
My 2008 Chrysler pt cruiser...
My 2008 Chrysler pt cruiser won't start. I have battery power, but the battery light also stays on when I put the car in aux.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chrysler
7/18/2015
Chrysler Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
I'm assuming that the starter doesn't engage.
The starter not engaging could be a number of things ranging from the starter itself, battery cables, low battery voltage, a transmission range sensor related issue, the ignition switch or switch actuator pin, or the powertrain control module may not be awake.
Does everything power up when the key is turned to the run position? If so, do the radio and blower motor turn off when the key is turned to the crank position?
Everything runs. The alarm, the radio, it does everything just as if it was going to start up. Then nothing. No turn over, no clicking sound.
Someone told me to hit the starter, but that didn't work.
Do the radio and blower motor turn off when the key is turned to the crank position?
No
You most likely have a broken ignition switch actuator pin then, which is what engages the switch and turns it when the key is turned. You'll need to remove the ignition switch to physically inspect the pin.
Okay I'm sorry it does cut the air and the radio off when I crank it
Do you have a scan tool to check for PCM communication?
No. I'm a girly girl. I don't even have tools. Just a jack and jumper cables
Do you hear the fuel pump run when the key is first turned on?
No. And the gas light is on. Could it be I need gas
No
When you first turn the key on does the engine light do a bulb check and go out?
Was the airbag light staying on before this?
sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician