Jon D
Jon D, ASE Parts Specialist
Experience:  7 years experience in retail parts
76634413

Chrysler PT Cruiser Limited: I am getting a cylinder 1 misfire

Customer Question

I am getting a cylinder 1 misfire code on my 2002 Chrysler pt cruiser. We recently replaced the radiator and radiator fan because of an overheating issue . It is possible that I have a damaged head gasket, but I'm not sure. Just earlier today the heat gauge went up to 3/4 and it started sputtering. Check engine light came on and occasionally blinks.Temperature goes down when idling, and is very inconsistent when it goes up and down. Took it to get a code check and it came back with P0301 cylinder 1 misfire. What should I do?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Jon D replied 2 years ago.
Some parts stores carry strips, ones that you use to test for a blown head gasket. If its still getting up to 3/4 hot, its very possible you have a blown head gasket. Are you having to add coolant? You can check the oil to see if it looks milky, or white. Also, if you're having to add coolant you can see if its coming back out of the overflow. Taking the cap off the overflow, and putting a balloon there is an old trick to see if it inflates, it means your head gasket is blown between the water jacket/exhaust.