sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Chrysler Pt Cruiser Dream Cruiser: I have had 3 incidents in

Customer Question

I have had 3 incidents in the past 2 months where I have been freeway driving 30 minutes to an hour approximately 35 to 45 miles, everything is fine until I go to exit the freeway, start slowing down and braking down the off-ramp and the engine stalls. When I try to start the car again, it will not start, but if I let it sit 5 to 10 minutes then it will start up again. Initially I thought will the California heat and driving a long distance, that it was vapor lock, but it is an electronic ignition. The last time the car did this, I opened the gas cap and then closed and the car start right up, this may be just a coincidence, but could it be that I just need a new gas cap?
Category: Chrysler
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Wow, it has been several hours since I have asked this question and still no answer. I really thought the expert mechanics would be able to answer this one right away as a problem they have seen multiple times.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
The fuel cap won't cause the issue you're having.
You may be losing spark, fuel or both. If the starter does still engage when it won't start then the powertrain control module is still awake.
If it dies abruptly it's more likely to be a loss of spark if it hesitates or runs out of power it's more likely to be fuel.
The most common cause of lost spark would be a failing crank sensor but it could also be wiring, the ASD relay, the coil pack or PCM.
If you're losing fuel pressure the most likely cause would be the fuel pump.
The first step in diagnosing the problem will be checking for fault codes. Anything causing a loss of spark should set a fault code and tat will give a starting point for testing.