Chrysler

Chrysler Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chrysler

2014 Chrysler 300 v6 8 speed transmission coming to a stop

Customer Question
feels like some one bumps...
2014 Chrysler 300 v6 8 speed transmission coming to a stop feels like some one bumps you from behind . could it be a software problem or it has to be flashed.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chrysler
7/13/2015
Chrysler Mechanic: Chris, Technician replied 2 years ago
Chris
Chris, Technician
Welcome! my name is ***** ***** I would like to thank you for allowing me to assist you! This is a software problem. There is an update available for this and the update should be covered under the power train warranty.
Chris
Here is a copy of the bulletin that discusses the problem and update.
Chris.
THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES SERVICE BULLETIN 21-003-14 REV. A, DATED
DECEMBER 5, 2014, , WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM YOUR FILES. ALL
REVISIONS ARE HIGHLIGHTED WITH **ASTERISKS** AND INCLUDES AN
ADDITIONAL SOFTWARE ENHANCEMENT AND NEW LABOR OPS.
HELP USING THE wiTECH DIAGNOSTIC APPLICATION FOR FLASHING AN ECU IS
AVAILABLE BY SELECTING “HELP” THEN “HELP CONTENTS” AT THE TOP OF
THE wiTECH DIAGNOSTIC APPLICATION WINDOW.
THE wiTECH SOFTWARE LEVEL MUST BE AT 15.02 OR HIGHER TO PERFORM THIS
PROCEDURE.
SUBJECT:
Flash: 845RE Transmission Shift Enhancements
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves reprogramming the Transmission Control Module (TCM) with the
latest available software.
MODELS:
2014 (LD) Dodge Charger
2014 (LX) Chrysler 300
2014 (WK) Jeep Grand Cherokee
2014 (WD) Dodge Durango
2014 (DS) Ram 1500 Pickup
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with an 845RE Automatic
Transmission (Sales Code DFL) and with the following engines.
• LX and WK vehicles equipped with a 3.6L engine (Sales Code ERB) or
3.0L gas engine (sales code EHD).
• LD, WD, and DS vehicles equipped with a 3.6L engine (Sales Code
ERB).
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The following TCM calibration improvements are available for vehicles equipped an 845RE
Automatic Transmission (Sales Code DFL). These updates are listed by vehicle and
engine.
NUMBER: 21-004-15
GROUP: Transmission and
Transfer Case
DATE: January 24, 2015
LD and LX vehicles equipped with a 3.6L engine (Sales Code ERB)
· Software to correct a harsh bump feel during a 2-1 downshift.
· Software to enable the scan tool based transmission “Quick Learn.”
· Software to address customer concerns of Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)
illumination and Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P215C Output Shaft Speed, Wheel
Speed Correlation setting on AWD equipped vehicles.
LX and WK vehicles equipped with a 3.0L engine (Sales Code EHD)
WK vehicles equipped with a 3.6L engine (Sales Code ERB)
· **ECO mode will not retain settings. If ECO mode is turned off, it will turn back on
after the ignition is cycled.**
DS vehicles equipped with 3.6L engine (Sales Code ERB)
· Software to address a customer’s concern of less than desired shift quality in Four
Wheel Drive (4wd) Low mode during medium to heavy acceleration.
· Software improvements to powertrain braking in Tow/Haul mode.
· Software to improve downshift response from a medium to heavy pedal acceleration.
· Driveability improvements at higher altitudes.
· Software to improve acceleration during cruise control operation
· Software to correct a condition where DTC U11C3 - ESM Lost Communication With
TCM On D-Pt CAN may have been displayed instead of U11E3 - TCM Lost
communication with ESM On D-PT CAN.
WD vehicles equipped with a 3.6L engine (Sales Code ERB)
after the ignition is cycled.**
· Software to improve driveability and shift performance while in ECO mode.
DIAGNOSIS:
Using a Scan Tool (wiTECH) with the appropriate Diagnostic Procedures available, verify
all vehicle systems are functioning correctly. If any DTCs other than the ones listed above
are present, record them on the repair order and repair as necessary before proceeding
further with this bulletin.
If the customer describes the symptom/condition listed above or if the technician finds the
DTC, perform the Repair Procedure.
REPAIR PROCEDURE:
NOTE: Install a battery charger to ensure battery voltage does not drop below 13.2
volts. Do not allow the charging voltage to climb above 13.5 volts during the
flash process.
NOTE: If this flash process is interrupted/aborted, the flash should be restarted.
21-004-15 -2-
1. Reprogram the TCM with the latest available software. Detailed instructions for
flashing control modules using the wiTECH Diagnostic Application are available by
selecting the “HELP” tab on the upper portion of the wiTECH window, then “HELP
CONTENTS.” This will open the Welcome to wiTECH Help screen where help topics
can be selected.
2. Clear any DTCs that may have been set in other modules due to reprogramming. The
wiTECH application will automatically present all DTCs after the flash and allow the
tech to clear them.
3. Turn the ignition off, disconnect wiTECH and let the modules go to sleep.
4. Start the engine and monitor the transmission temperature on the EVIC.
5. With the vehicle located in a suitable area, perform the following steps to help enable
the transmission to quickly warm up to minimum of 55°C (131°F).
a. Apply the service brake.
b. Shift Transmission from Park to Reverse.
c. Shift Transmission from Reverse to Drive.
d. Accelerate the vehicle to minimum of 45 mph to allow the transmission to cycle
through each gear.
e. Drive the vehicle until the transmission temperature reaches 55°C (131°F).
6. Reconnect wiTECH to the vehicle.
7. Check for TCM DTCs that may have reset.
NOTE: Do not perform the Quick Learn procedure if TCM DTCs are present. Repair
transmission as required per the DTC flow chart.
8. Select the TCM module in wiTECH.
9. Select the “Misc Functions” tab.
10. Select “Reset Adaptive Values” and follow the on-screen instructions to reset the
clutch adaptive values.
11. Next select the “Quick Learn” procedure, and follow the on-screen instructions to learn
new clutch adaptive values. The Quick Learn procedure will take 2-5 minutes to
complete.
POLICY:
Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.
TIME ALLOWANCE:
Labor Operation
No:
Description Skill Category Amount
**18-19-05-A3** Module, Transmission Control (TCM) -
Reprogram w/845RE Transmission
Quick Learn Procedure.
(1 - Semi-Skilled)
2 - Automatic
Transmission
0.5 Hrs.
NOTE: The expected completion time for the flash download portion of this
procedure is approximately 5 minutes. Actual flash download times may be
affected by vehicle connection and network capabilities.
FAILURE CODE:
Chris
Chris
Chris, Technician