sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Chrysler 300 C SRT8: I have a 2007 Chrysler 300c srt8. The

Customer Question

I have a 2007 Chrysler 300c srt8. The headlights are flickering on and off. The headlights flicker independently, not at the same time. I installed new bulbs 11 months ago, and they worked fine for about 6 months then the flickering started. First, only the left headlight flickered. Now both headlights flicker. Talking with a supplier in Asia, he said to change the ballasts. Sounds reasonable. Do you have any experience with this problem? I am an electrical engineer with 52 years of experience, so I can probably understand anything you tell me. Thanks
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
If the lights were coming and going together then I would first suspect the switch but if they turn on and off or flicker separately then the issue will be with the ballasts, wiring, front control module, integrated power module or the bulbs, depending on what system you have.
If you had standard lamps that you converted to aftermarket HID then each lamp is controlled by a separate driver from the FCM. The FCM could be disabling the lights because it sees high current draw on the circuit, either from the ballasts or a short to ground in the wiring.
If you original had HID then the ballasts are powered together by a relay. If the lights are acting up independently of each other then the problem has to be with the ballasts or bulbs.
Outside of starting with checking for power and ground at the light when the problem is happening, if you have known good parts that you could install for a test that would be a good first step.