sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Chrysler Town and Country Touring L: , I have a 2011 Town

Customer Question

Hello, I have a 2011 Town and Country with an intermittent no start situation. dash and all accessories come on as normal but engine never tries to crank. No click, no sound at all. Like it is not getting a signal to the starter solenoid. It has the push button start, which I have removed and tried using the key. Still nothing. Fobs have been replaced and so has the module for them. No codes, nothing. Usually happens 30 minutes to longer after driving. Will start after anywhere from 6 minutes to 15 minutes. Tried remote start, it honks and everything comes on, but no engine action. HELP!!
Category: Chrysler
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
A little more info on the vehicle. I've owned this van since September 2014. It had 52,000 miles when I bought it, and it now has 72,000. When I first bought it the horn didn't work, nor did the driver's heated seat. Dealership took care of it by replacing the dash (hours started at zero when I got it back) and I believe a module for the heated seat. Dealership has tried and tried to find the issue with the no start. Their next thought was replacing some harnesses. Not sure if the TIPM has been replaced yet.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
There are quite a few things that could be causing your problem. If everything else does power up then the key has been validated so that should rule out an issue with the key, antennas and wireless ignition node.
If you hear no noise when trying to start the engine odds are the starter isn't the cause. A failing starter or connection issue will usually give you a single click.
If there is no noise I would first suspect a transmission range sensor issue. The range sensor is in the trans and reports shifter position to the powertrain control module. I've seen range sensor issues cause what you're having here and there on these vans.
The problem will need to be diagnosed at the time it's happening if no fault codes are setting and they're unable to find any visually, checking connections and wiggle testing wiring and connections. The first thing I would look at is the range sensor signal.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry, I was impatient waiting g for an answer and I traded it off today for a newer van. Hoping I never have that issue arise again.
Good luck with your new van!