Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Chrysler Concorde Limited: my mothers 03 concorde limited runs…

Customer Question
my mothers 03 concorde limited...
my mothers 03 concorde limited runs great when it wants. sometimes have to wait an hour until it will start.. she cannot afford to spend more money on solutions that don't work. also the engine wants to die at stops, she puts it in neutral to keep it running. Please help.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chrysler
7/5/2015
Chrysler Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
There may be quite a few different things going on. If the engine runs fine and juts won't idle then it could be an idle air control motor issue or the EGR valve sticking open. The starting issue could be a cam or crank sensor related problem, ASD relay or wiring, the powertrain control module, or if it happens on a hot restart then vapor lock due to a weak fuel pump check valve is likely.
Are any fault codes setting?
What has been replaced?
Can't be cam or crank position.. Let the car set for an hour and it fires rite up , powertrain control? Definitely not vapor lock, it won't even turn over, let it set and it starts up.
The starter doesn't engage?
Engine turns, sounds like dead battery. Wait an hour starts, runs like new.
The problem is most likely with one of the battery cables then. I've seen many issues with the sections of cable at the battery. There could be a connection issue right at the battery or there could be voltage drop in the cables or the cables' connections to the terminals. Wiggle testing whirl the problem is happening will often reveal an issue, otherwise they would need to be voltage drop tested.
Okay, so your thinking about vapor lock may be why it wants to die at a stop light..I think.. on my Grand Prix I have that same problem only when I wash the engine, next time i'm covering up the TPS.. Anyway, i'm going to my mothers house this Saturday I will check connections at the starter.. and hopefully find something is loose or very corroded.
I'll let you know probably Sat. or Sun.what I found..
Vapor lock would cause a long crank time.
The dying at stops may be a MAP sensor, TPS or idle air control motor issue, or the EGR valve could be hanging open. I would get the battery situation straightened out first and go from there.
sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician