Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Chrysler SEBRING: I have a 2007 Chrysler Sebring (Automatic…

Customer Question
I have a 2007 Chrysler...
I have a 2007 Chrysler Sebring (Automatic with the 2.4L engine) I have been having what I would describe as a hesitation/jerky/uneven acceleration issue with the vehicle.
What happens is during full out throttle or very gentle throttle the car performs as it should. At moderate depression of of the pedal it will accelerate and the RPM will increase but will be uneven and hesitate.
A wierd thing is that When part throttle is given at any speed, at lower RPM (2500-3500) it will rev normally up to that RPM but after a couple seconds will drop a few hundred RPM even with the accelerator pedal held constant. ie. Could be traveling a constant 30MPH at 2500RPM press the pedal down a bit more (and hold it constant) and then the RPM will go to say 3000RPM for a couple seconds then go back down to 2800RPM and hold. (It isn't the transmission slipping)
Sudden opening of the throttle moderately or more aggressively at these lower RPM will cause the car to buck and hesitate for a couple seconds before acceleration kicks in.
Any idea what it could be? ETC light does not stay on to indicate an issue and there are no codes present or pending.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chrysler
Answered in 1 day by:
7/4/2015
Chrysler Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
There are many things that could be causing your symptoms. I would first suspect the throttle body and I've seen quite a few throttle body issues with these, but it really should be setting a code.
Low fuel pressure could cause some of what you're having but it should hesitate at wide open throttle if pressure was low.
Do you have the ability to monitor data? If so does throttle angle match the intended angle when the problem is happening (it may need to be graphed or recorded)?
What does the short term adaptive do when this happens?
sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician