Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Chrysler: my chrysler pacifica will not fill up with gas and…

Customer Question
my chrysler pacifica will not...
my chrysler pacifica will not fill up with gas and the gas gauge is not working correct it goes from 280 miles left to empty to empty in like a 10 mile span. Can you tell me what is wrong? I was driving along and the gas tank said it had 3/4 tank full and in a*****it went from 3/4 full to the fuel light coming on. When I went to put gas in the tank it just kept clicking like it was full. I had to hold the gas pump outside of the car a ways and then it would only take about 4 gallons. It happened all of a sudden. There is no gas leaking out of the car. It lets me put a little gas in at a time
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chrysler
6/30/2015
Chrysler Mechanic: Brad, Dealership Technician replied 2 years ago
Brad
Brad, Dealership Technician
It sounds like your fuel isn't transfering correctly.. Here is how to test: With a properly working system, fuel is continually transferred from the passenger side to the driver side of the fuel tank while the fuel pump is running. Using a DRBIII (for 04 06MY), the fuel level in each tank side can be monitored: Diagnostics / Body Interior / Body Computer / Sensor Display. (Using StarSCAN for 07MY) ECU View / BCM / Data Display. NOTE: PRIMARY FUEL LEV is the driver side. SECONDARY FUEL LEV is the passenger side. Start the engine and let idle while monitoring the fuel levels. The PRIMARY FUEL LEV should increase while the SECONDARY FUEL LEV decreases. Approximately one gallon of fuel should transfer in about 60-90 seconds. If after a few minutes the PRIMARY side does not increase, or if the SECONDARY side increases instead of decreasing, then the fuel is not transferring correctly. NOTE: The PRIMARY side holds approximately 14.8 gallons of fuel. When starting this test, the PRIMARY side should be less than 13 gallons to allow room for fuel to transfer into. If the vehicle has been parked with the engine off for a sufficient length of time, fuel will naturally siphon from the Primary side to the Secondary side, up to approximately 9 gallons remaining in the Primary side. The vehicle can also be driven in a couple of tight counterclockwise circles to spill fuel over from the Primary side to the Secondary side. If the SECONDARY FUEL LEV already reads 0 gals, then the fuel is transferring properly to the Primary side, since it has drained that side. Simply checking the fuel levels on each side of the tank when the fuel pump is not running is not always sufficient in determining whether the system is working properly, due to the natural siphoning effect with the pump off. A lack of fuel transfer can be caused by several situations, including insufficient voltage to the fuel pump (should be at least 12.5 volts), a worn fuel pump, or a leak within the pump module (either the primary or secondary module). An issue with the primary module is usually the cause for a lack of fuel transfer, since a sufficient flow of fuel through the secondary module venture is required to create the fuel transfer, and the primary module provides the fuel flow. If a lack of transfer is determined, first check the voltage at the fuel tank wire harness. If the voltage is at least 12 12.5 volts, then a primary module change is likely required.