Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2003 Chrysler Voyager 4 cylinder minivan has no AC.

Customer Question
Regardless of any settings, hot...
2003 Chrysler Voyager 4 cylinder minivan has no AC. Regardless of any settings, hot air blows out. All the blower settings (high-low) work fine. Uncertain if compressor is culprit.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chrysler
6/24/2015
Chrysler Mechanic: George H., ASE Master Technician replied 2 years ago
George H.
George H., ASE Master Technician
Hello I will help you with your question,
There are several possible causes for this, do you have a voltmeter and a paperclip to check the system and see if it is low on refrigerant or this is an electrical fault?
Yes, I have both. I know enough to be dangerous with the volt meter.
Start by finding the compressor clutch relay in the underhood fuse block and use the paperclip to bridge the #30 and the #87 pin sockets (should be marked on the side of the relay. If the system blows cold we can check the signal for the AC but if it does not then you are low on refrigerant due to a leak. Let me know how much help you need finding the relay and the correct pins. Thanks
I bridged them together but it still blows hot air.
What's odd is even if the ac's off and I switch temp to hot & cold it still blows same temp normally at least luke warm air would come out on cold & hot vice versa.
I'll buy a recharge kit & see. That low pressure filler port the one behind the air box mounted on top of the 3" diameter cylinder (compressor maybe)
It does sound like the refrigerant leaked out and the low pressure caused the system not to run.
You have a leak, if you recharge I don't know how long it will last but it might.
If you lose cooling in a short time then you have a large leak.
Please let me know what I can do to help
Thank you
where could the leak be coming from, the compressor itself? or a loose hose somewhere?
Also where is the low pressure recharge port?
The evap code (P0441) is present, in the past it was usually a vacuum line or gas cap. The evap code is unrelated to the ac right?
The evap code is not related to the AC not working. The low port is on the larger suction line There are many components and joints in the AC system, first you have to find out if you do have a leak but right now it might be. Please let me know how i can help Thank you
Okay, found the low port.Separate question - I wanted to put an intake & get rid of air box. However no one seems to make on for this particular van. Could I mearly put a universal / k&n filter on it instead? Or would this throw codes
Leave the intake alone. The reason no one has one is there is no benefit in changing it so no one buys one.
Please let me know what happens with your AC.
Thank you
Alright George,I'll Keep ya posted. Thanks
OK, I will watch to see if you post new questions Thanks
Hey George
So I put a whole can of AC pro "best of the best stuff" with leak sealer - still blows hot. Thinking of adding another can as I read on line. If that don't work I have bigger problems
No sealer!
I am sorry you added that, you can try R134a but no oil, dye or sealant. Those do not belong in that system.
Please let me know how I can help
Thank you
George,
I bought can of the R134 tried to put it in but it wont take it. Dunno if the clamp is not sealing correctly or not. I used the same gauge as the one that came with the previously purchased AC pro kit. I have yet to hear the compressor kick on. I don't think the ac's full, but will get another gauge to see if that is the culprit.
Unrelated question
Also, do you know if a 2000 Ford super 7.3 turbo diesel has a PCV valve. Went to local auto store, they said that they don't even list one & that diesels don't use them? I don't know why it wouldn't
If I you can check the pressures first and let me know what you are seeing. I can hp you turn on the compressor and then you can add if needed.I know nothing about Ford diesels but our Ford guys are experts on them and can answer your PCV question if you post it in the FORD catagory.let me know what you see with the AC, Thanks
Okay
Gonna take lunch then get back @ it. I'm an hour + from auto store - gotta love Alaska
Ok, before you make that drive put a paperclip between the dark blue wire and the dark blue/grey stripe wire with the connector plugged in. If that turns on the motor when you put the speed control in the #5 full speed position.
If the motor runs then you know the resistor is the problem. I plan on being here a couple more hours
Let me know what you find
Thank you
Morning George,Just got your answer (its 0800 my time), sorry for the delay the water pump in our Ford Fusion went out & I'm learning mechanics the hard way!
I'm lost on your last post. Where are these dark bl & dk blue grey stripe Wires located? And the connector?
On the resistor connector next to the dark blue. If you are not seeing them let me know how many wires you have on that connector>
Thanks
Is resister connecter on the AC unit or the fuse box?
The resistor connector is where you measure the voltage behind the glove box and the resistor is mounter inside the box with 2 screws?
turned van on And bridged the dark bl & dark bl grey stripe wires & put sp switch on 5 - is AC switch supposed to be turned on or off?
Am I supposed to hear compressor turn on (kinda hard with fan on on)
Update
even prior to performing the most recent bridge, my ac pulley / compressor will spin if i put ac on, just no ac obviously. It turned on all along, I just couldn't hear the sqreech that i've heard in former vehicles. Again, the center of the ac pulley/compressor does spin however it seem like it doesn't turn off when ac button is pushed.
soon as i turn the ac button off ,it stops.
However I still can get it to take more r134, I still have to go to parts store (water pump blew went out on car enroute). I'm sorry for all the confusion, my mechanical skills kinda suck
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
I am sorry I crossed your question with another, disregard the post above.
The compressor is running and won't take any refrigerant? What is the pressure while it is running?
I'll get it in 5 mins, again i'm not certain how accurate this AC PRO gauge is. I can hear the r134 hissng out of the nozzel (just a little bit) when I pull the trigger, regardless I'll get that pressure to you.
OK, those gauges are go, no go so see if it changes when you turn on the compressor vs when it is not running. Let me know how much Thank you
Gauge is still in red showing 700 psi or 700 kPa
OK, can't be 700 psi, the system would explode. Sounds like 70 psi maybe. That is with the compressor spinning and with it off?
Are you sure you are on the low pressure port? The valve connection fits tight?
OK, the picture helps, use the outer measurements, that is about 120 So no change when it is not running?
Put another can of 134 in there, without any luck. Gauges still say the same, and still blowing hot air. I've spent $65 on freon and a gauge so far. I fixing to throw in the towl. A new compressor is $319, I live in Alaska, only hot 4 months out of 12 months so a new ac compressor unit is out of the question
If you see the pressure change when the compressor is running let me know, it should change from about ambient temperature/psi to 21 - 45 when the compressor is running. Let me know what you are seeing Thanks