Chrysler

Chrysler Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chrysler

Chrysler Sebring Limited: , I'm Mike. 04 Sebring Limited

Customer Question
Hi, I'm Mike. 04...
Hi, I'm Mike. 04 Sebring Limited 2.7. a/c blowing hot. 1st mech said Freon is full, no leaks. said change the activator and heater core which was leaking on the actuator and ruined it. He retired. 2nd mech: changed the actuator, it got wet from the htr core and said he's gotta change the htr core & new actuator. Nothing re the Freon low or leaks. ($500 quote). 3rd mech: actuator not bad, leaky htr core won't kill the actuator. I showed him the old one, he put 12v to it and it worked - spun up the gears. Freon is low (no gauge or Freon handy to verify this). compressor coming on and off rapidly. Hi side tube not real cold. Said: charge the Freon and add stop leak to fix the hole in the htr core and that will do it. Getting Freon w/stop leak and oil in the can - $24. Plus can of radiator stop leak. Shade tree mechanic is the 3rd opinion. Bumfuzzled in KY.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chrysler
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
6/21/2015
Chrysler Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
The compressor cycling off and on usually does mean the system is low on Freon so the first hing you need to do is install a set of professional gauges and check the actual pressure, normal pressure on a fuel system should be right at 35 to 40 PSI on the low side and right at 200 to 225 on the high side with the AC running. If you find the pressures low then add Freon till the pressure read properly.
As you the heater core you can try some stop leak but at best if it stops the leak it will be temporary. The proper way to resolve a leaking heater core is to replace it.
I put the gauge on the low side - it reads @ 125 psi - in the red, of course. The aluminum low side pipe is not ice cold but merely cool to the touch. Compressor is clicking on and off about every 5 seconds. Still blowing hot in any dial setting.
With the compressor running, the low side pressure should only be 35 to 40, are you sure you do not have it over charged, what it the low side pressure when the pressure is running?
Hi Ron. If I had the expensive gauges I would know how to use them. All I have is the low side single gauge that came with the kit to add your own Freon, which I've done for years with a degree of success - until now. Since this is too complicated to diagnose and fix via the internet I've turned it over to a shop. The reading on my gauge was correct - system overcharged. As I suspected also, the actuator switch was not working so they shop is going to replace that, and adjust the Freon correctly. I'm sure if the car were in your garage you could fix it, but that couldn't happen, so I'll just get ready to bite the bullet and fork over half my Soc Sec check to fix it. Cancel request and refund deposit.
If you where reading 125 on the low side then as I suggested, it was over charged. At either rate it sounds like you are on track now . I have no control over your deposit and I am not paid anything unless you rate my service. If you want a refund then you are going to need to contact customer service. Thank you just the same and best to you.
Ron, ASE Certified Technician