Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Chrysler Town & Country LXi: Have a 2001 Chrysler town…

Customer Question
Have a 2001 Chrysler town...
Have a 2001 Chrysler town & country ignition key will not turn on position
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Chrysler
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/20/2015
Chrysler Mechanic: bill, chrysler master tech replied 3 years ago
bill
bill, chrysler master tech
that's a common problem and the fix is to replace the lock cylinder, the problem is the brass tumblers get worn and no longer operate smoothly and this causes the key not to turn, a VERY TEMPORARY FIX is to tap the face of the lock cylinder (where you put the key) firmly but gently with a soft faced mallet this will free up the tumblers and allow you to turn the key, I have NEVER had any luck lubing the lock cylinder, a new lock cylinder will need to be coded to your van and it's a good idea to have a NEW key stamped NOT traced off the old one so you have the benefit of all new components and another 13 years of operation