Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I'm looking technician who's very familiar with a

Customer Question
Hi I'm looking for a...
Hi I'm looking for a technician who's very familiar with a 2004 chrysler Pacifica 3.5 lt engine timing belt
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Chrysler
6/18/2015
Chrysler Mechanic: Brad, Dealership Technician replied 3 years ago
Brad
Brad, Dealership Technician
Welcome to JustAnswer!!!
My name is ***** ***** I'm a 16 yr Dodge-Chrysler-Jeep dealership technician that will be helping you today. ***NOTE*** This is not a FREE site, the deposit you placed will not credit me unless you rate me positive, and feel free to reply to me as many times as needed even after the rating.
What's going on with your timing belt?
I'm doing a timing belt job on this vehicle 2004 chrysler Pacifica the timing marks on the crankshaft and the right side head line up perfect but the left side head mark doesn't line up half a tooth is off is this ok?
No it can't be a tooth off or you will have issues.. Did you loosen both camshaft gears then install the belt? It should look like this:

//f01.justanswer.com/ref/http_i.imgur.com/H8p9aB0.gif
Let me know,
Brad
That picture with the two dots mark on the rear timing belt cover it's for the old 3.5lt engine the Pacifica has a line not 2 dots.and it's off by half a tooth
HI,
It's the same on timing. You need to put the camshaft in the middle of the 2 marks. If it's not lining up loosen the two camshafts then set the timing then tighten. It's got to be in the middle or your going to have issues.. Did you get a OEM timing belt?
Brad
It's an aftermarket belt . I'm going to get the oem better. Do you know if the oem belt come with marks ? You want me to remove the valve cover and loose the rocker arms to loose the camshaft and be able to aling the mark?
HI,
I always recommend OEM parts, and you just need to loosen the camshaft sprokets so they move on the camshaft then get the timing marks alligned.. Loosing them will allow it to move slightly so you can get it in time.. Whatever you do don't run it with the marks not lined up or you could bend some valves...
Brad