Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Chrysler Sebring JXi (Convertible): I've owed a 1998 chrysler…

Customer Question
I've owed a 1998 chrysler...
I've owed a 1998 chrysler sebring convertible for 14 years, the vehicle is an immaculate southern californian car with no corosion. I replaced the brakes recently to include:
Rotors front and back
new pads front and back
Handbrake shoes, springs etc
New brake fluid, (professionally flushed, bleed and renewed)
I have two questions.
- Compared to my new vehicle the brakes are very poor with what seems to be too much pedal travel and weak braking power.
- The handbrake itself seems to have excessive travel in the car itself, the shoes are adjusted correctly.
All flexible hoses and calipers are original, with no leaks.
any ideas?
regards, Richard
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Chrysler
6/14/2015
Chrysler Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 years ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
If the emergency brake handle has too much movement and the shoes are adjusted correctly then the cables are stretched and will need to be adjusted.
You may or may not have an issue with the service brakes. Their stopping power can't really be compared with a modern vehicle as it will be much less. It would need to be compared to itself and other like vehicles of the same era. You may have an issue or it may now seem like the brakes don't work well just because you're comparing it to a new vehicle.
If there is actually an issue it could be the master cylinder, possibly the ABS hydraulic control unit (not likely), it coudl be sticking caliper pistons or internally collapsing brake hoses, or it may be low quality pads. The cheaper, lower quality pads that come from aftermarket sources provide less stopping power, a poor feel and will often cause accelerated rotor wear. If the pads came from a parts store and weren't at least $40-50 a set then they are at least part of the problem.