sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Chrysler Town and Country: I have a 2005 Town & Country van.

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Town & Country van. The pass rear tail lights are dim maybe 1/3 as bright as the left side. I check fuses, changed blubs, tested the wires going to the light and all seems right. I wanted to switch tail light assemblies with the left side to see if the assembly was the problem but after taking out the red key on the wire connector I could not figure out how to pull it apart. I also noticed a green color on the wires in the connector. How do you disconnect the wires?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
The problem could be in the lamp housing circuit board but the green you found is most likely the issue. Green on terminals or wiring is corrosion which will add resistance/voltage drop to a circuit and is guaranteed to cause lights to dim.
Depending on exactly where the corrosion is and how bad it is you may be able to clean it up with terminal cleaner and scraping it away, but the connector may need to be replaced.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How do I get the connector apart
Where exactly are you seeing the corrosion?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
because i can't get the connector apart i can only see it where the wire enters the connector
Where are you seeing the corrosion?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
because i can't get the connector apart i can only see corrosion where the wire enters the connector
Are you able to read my replies?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I can read your replies. Why are you not answering my question as to how to get the connector apart? The corrosion is at the point the wire enters the connector. I cannot see if it is in the connector because I cannot get it apart.
You weren't replying to my questions which I was asking to determine what you were seeing and where, I repeated the question because I didn't know if you saw it.
The connector won't need to be disassembled. If you're unable to repair it with contact cleaner and scraping the inside of the female terminals then the connector will need to be replaced. It will be cut off and the new terminals/wires soldered and sealed with heat shrink.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry I was too busy to get back to you on this matter. You are asking me to clean the inside of the female terminals. The ends of the connector are where the wires go in and there are no male or female ends unless I take the wire harness connector apart which I cannot. I removed the red key but still cannot separate the connector. If I could do this I would be able to clean any corrosion on the male and female ends. How do you take them apart?
If there is corrosion on the inside of the terminals they will be cleaned from the open end of the connector. The connector will not be disassembled. Contact cleaner and a pick/terminal scraper will be used from the open end of the connector. Disassembling the connector wouldn't gain you anything.