sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Chrysler Sebring LXi (Coupe): have 2000 Chrysler sebring lxi

Customer Question

have 2000 Chrysler sebring lxi and alarm goes off after opening door and continues for a few minutes while driving. When I turned off car it started beeping again.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
It sounds as if you may have an aftermarket alarm that's failing or isn't being disarmed. Depending on the exact system it may be wired to the disarm switches in the doors, but it may require a key fob to disarm it. If you didn't have a fob and it's been disarming correctly then odds are it was wired to the disarm switches in the doors, and is now not disarming because of a wiring, module or disarm switch issue.
If it was factory security going off then it would cause the engine to start and die three times and then lock the starter out, which is why I believe it's an aftermarket alarm.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is factory alarm. don't know why it is not affecting the starter but it isn't. Not much value left in the car and want to know how to disable the alarm system altogether.
Factory security can't be disabled once it's enabled at the factory.
If it's truly factory security honking the horn and flashing the lights but the engine continues to run then the problem is in the ETACS module.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
can a service tech diagnose this easy?
A Mitsubishi or Chrysler dealer shoudn't have a problem diagnosing it, many independent shops would be willing also.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
should have asked if I could replace myself too? Is it easy to get to, etc.?
It will require programming with a scan tool once installed.