Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Chrysler Town & Country Touring: I'm looking at purchasing…

Customer Question
I'm looking at purchasing a...
I'm looking at purchasing a minivan with screen for DVD in overhead console for second row only. I'm trying to figure out if I can add a screen for the 3rd row like in higher option packages (storage bin looks like it would hold another screen). Can this be accomplished with reasonable effort/cost? Can you supply instructions and part numbers?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Chrysler
I picked these options, just making sure you can see it - I'm mostly looking at 2014 T&C Touring minivans. Also looking at comparable Dodge Grand Caravans.
5/25/2015
Chrysler Mechanic: Robert R, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 years ago
Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Technician
Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** a Certified Auto Technician with 27+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.
This is NOT doable on a 2014 Van. Chrysler does not supply parts for this type of upgrade. Even if you could find all the parts necesary in a salvage yard, there is no way to make the additional screen operate due to the fact that the onboard electronic systems won't support any additional modules without adding the necessary sales codes to the vehicle build configuration. This build configuration is the electronic database that stores everything that the vehicle came with from the factory. This build configuration is stored on Chrysler's Servers and downloaded to the vehicle at the time of assembly. In the past, dealers were able to add the necessary sales codes to the build configuration then download to the vehicle to "Add in" the requested option. For many accessories this is no longer available as of most 2013 and newer vehicles....
Because of this, it is HIGHLY recommended to purchase a vehicle that ALREADY has the options that you are looking for....
______________________________________
If you need additional information, don't hesitate to ask, I am happy to help as long as necessary to help solve your concern. Remember, a "Positive" Rating will not close this question, You can post a reply here whenever you want, even after rating my answer!
Thank you!
Robert
Wow, how disappointing/frustrating. The minivans I am seeing that have the third row screen I want are $10K more due to additional options I don't care about. I cannot justify spending that much more for the extra screen. :(
I think that is why Chrysler is doing this, they found out that many people were purchasing the lower priced vehicles and adding the wanted options to their vehicle for cheaper than buying the vehicle that already has the wanted options...
In the past, Like I stated, it was easy to find used parts, install them then go to the dealer and pay less than $100 to have them "Add in" the needed options to the Build Configuration, and download to the vehicle.... Chrysler caught on to this and basically put a stop to it..
I have delt with a few Just Answer customers that had already added in certain options and were at stand still with inoperative options that they could not get working or could only get partially working....
Basically none that I know of were completely successful....
Just wanted to save you the headaches....
Keep me posted...
Thank you,
Robert