Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Chrysler Town & Country Touring: Have a 2007 Chrysler Town…

Customer Question
Have a 2007 Chrysler Town...
Have a 2007 Chrysler Town & Country minivan. Current mileage 240,000. Have Life time powertain & transmission warranty and a maxcare for life. Had engine replaced last year and have had a host of problems since. Also had gas tank and charcoal filter replaced, radiator, a/c, instrument panel, power steering reservoir, range sensor and 2 other components of transmission replaced (had car towed 4 times in last 2 months due to transmission issues and a no start issue), catalytic converter and both o2 sensors replaced slightly over a year ago (just before the original engine started misfiring). Have done oil changes, trans changes, brake fluid, power steering and radiator flushes as per manufacturers recommendations. Now getting p0420 code - again, cat and o2 sensors replaced about 1 year ago. What do I need to look at, dealer saying to replace catalytic converter - I feel I should not have to be looking at this kind of repair again (cat and o2 sensors not covered by warranty), is there som
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Chrysler
5/23/2015
Chrysler Mechanic: Mopar Certified, Technician replied 3 years ago
Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified, Technician
Welcome to Just Answer Chrysler my name is***** don't know your automotive experience level, so I may need to alter the answer to your needs.
When you replace the cat, did you use a Chrysler part or an aftermarket part?
Walker direct fit, already have just over 30000 miles. Could misfires from original engine have caused problems with the cat or sensors or could the more recent problems caused problems. MPG also has been much lower since the engine was replaced and is now even lower.
Thanks for the reply.
Engine misfires are the primary cause of premature cat converter failures, and I see you replaced the cat prior to having the misfires occur, so it is possible this is what damaged the cat.
That is one angle you can look at with this issue.
The other angle is considering the fact that the aftermarket cats are typically inferior in physical size and capabilities compared to the original ones. They are also considerably cheaper but there is a "caveat emptor", or buyer beware, when it comes to replacing the factory cat with a cheap imitation. They tend to work ok for awhile but they don't have the longevity that the factory ones do and are prone to early failure.
While sensors could in theory cause a P0420 to set, in 99% of the cases they are not the issue unless you are setting fault codes for them.
Based on what you've told me, I would have to agree with the dealers findings, and when you do replace the cat, I would suggest an OEM one.
So was the initial misfiring of the original engine the cause of the cat going bad or was it possible that the the cat wasn't bad and was replaced at the dealers insistence because they didn't do their due diligence to correctly diagnose the problem. I started getting the code several months before they replaced the engine and had the cat and o2 sensors replaced, then started getting the code again in Oct.
Thanks for your reply.
In your original question you stated...."catalytic converter and both o2 sensors replaced slightly over a year ago (just before the original engine started misfiring).
Now, you're saying, "I started getting the code several months before they replaced the engine."
A bit confusing, but none the less, based on experience I would suspect the cat has failed because it is an aftermarket replacement that is not capable of doing the job that it needs to for exteneded periods of time like the factory ones.
I see this all the time, so it is nothing new from my respective.
I hope that helps to answer your question, but if you need anything further please reply back to me. Thanks!
Sorry for the confusion. Was getting the code prior to replacing the engine. They immediately said it was the cat however within 1.5months was told the engine needed replacing. Have had a number of problems since and no longer trust the dealership - have been towed 4 times in last 2months and they have had my carore than me. I beyond frustrated. Had researched cats and found on discussion boards that dealers occasionally use Walker cats. Do you know of somewhere reputable that I can get an OEM cat at a reasonable price?
You can purchase OEM parts online and then have someone local install it for you........doesn't have to be a dealer.
http://moparonlineparts.com/mop-parts/#parts
Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified, Technician