sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

I have an overheating question similar to one you answered

Customer Question

I have an overheating question similar to one you answered before for some one
Category: Chrysler
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
There are many things that will cause overheating. Obviously low coolant level will, an overheating issue that only happens while stopped or at low speeds is usually caused by the cooling fan not working. A failed thermostat or water pump will usually cause overheating quickly from a cold start that won't recover on it's own.
No vehicle information or problem description posted with the question. What year, model and engine is the vehicle and what symptoms are you having?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I sent more details did you get it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Are you there?
No other details have been posted here. If you sent a post it did not make it to the page.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am unable to talk on the phone.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have a 2007 Sebring with a 2.7 engine. The water pump went out and I replaced it and the timing chain at the same time. The mechanic that replaced it said I had a head gasket issue. I wasn't sure that was correct because there was no smoke exiting the tailpipe, nor a loss of fluid. I took it to another mechanic and he tested the coolant for exhaust gages and it was negative. This leads me to believe there is no head gasket issue, also he bled it and it stopped overheating, but the gauge was slightly higher than normal. I thought I would have a thermostat put in and when that was complete the overheating began again. I tried some stop leak product, but that seemed to be no help. I am at a loss from here.
Is it using coolant with no external leak? If it had to be bled it was low on coolant.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There are no external leaks, the stop leak was used to possible inhibit a small gasket problem.
Is the coolant level lowering?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No leaks, so to answer your question, no.
I know that you don't believe there are extremal leaks but I'm trying to determine if the level is dropping. I know for sure that it had lost coolant at some point and I'm trying to determine if that is still happening. With no mind to the fact that you don't believe there is a leak, does the coolant level in the radiator or reservoir go down; have you physically checked both?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The coolant level does not go down at all. There has been no leaks since the water pump went bad and then that was replaced. So again, there are no leaks, and the coolant level is stabile
It consumed or leaked coolant at some point after the water pump if the system had to be bled. It was bled because there was air in the system instead of coolant.
Does it only overheat at stops or low speeds?
Does it only overheat at higher speeds or under higher load?
How fast does it overheat from a cold start?
Once it overheats does it come down on it's own?
If so, what do you have to do?
How high does it get?
Does the high and low speed fan operate correctly?
Does ambient temperature or a/c operation have an effect?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I hope this answers your questions. It did not consume any coolant after the water pump was installed. We thought bleeding would help so we tried it. It overheats slow from a cold start but acceleration does make it overheat faster. It does not come down, it boils over. I am not sure of the fan operation, it seemed they might be not working correctly but unsure. It doesn't seem like ambient temp or the ac plays a part.
IF it overheats at stops or low speeds then you'll definitely need to investigate the cooling fans first if you don't know if they're working. The fan should be running when it's overheating and also with the a/c on. The fans not working could be a failed relay, blown fuse, wiring or the fan motors themselves. Failed motors would be most likely.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We may not be doing the bleeding process correctly, maybe you could explain
To bleed the cooling system the engine is ran to normal operating temperature with the radiator cap off. The bleed screw can be opened periodically. When the engine is at operating temperature, the heat works correctly, and no more air comes from the bleeder or radiator cap then it is bled and can be capped.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We seem to be doing the correct bleeding operation. The fans do come on, but sometimes they seem to be off when the temperature is high
If the engine is overheating and fans are not running that's when the electrical testing of the system would need to be done, starting with checking the power and ground at the motors.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The car has been sitting with this issue for several months, yesterday the Temp gauge wasn't working at all, is this the sending unit near the bleed screw?
Yes, the coolant sensor is just under the bleed housing.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have an overheating problem with my 2007 Sebring, it would seem after a recheck, I am having issues with intermittent fan operation. The temperature was holding at the halfway point, then in a second jumped to H. Once the temperature got up the fans shut off. It would seem the fans can operate but maybe not at high speed or at the correct time. Is there a sensor that regulates this?
The fan is controlled based on the coolant temperature sensor signal.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That is a new switch already.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
new temp sensor already installed
I woudln't expect a coolant sensor problem to cause the fans to not work, if the sensor was inaccurate the gauge would be also.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The gauge seems to be reading correctly now, given your comment the sensor should also be doing its job. Where would the next step in the search for a culprit in the intermittent fan operation be?
The first step in diagnosis will be to check for power and ground at the motor connector when the fan isn't running but should be.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Per your previous statements, we checked and no power is present while fans are not in operation and should be.
Try swapping the fan series/parallel relay with another and see if that makes a difference.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We also made that attempt, no different result
Please list all testing that has been done that I am not aware of.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That is as far as we have gone
You'll next need to load test the power feeds to all three fan relays while the problem is happening.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok
If you have a poor or missing power feed yet fuses are good then the problem has to be in the TIPM.