sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Chrysler Grand Carivan LE: I have a 1990 Dodge Grand Caravan

Customer Question

I have a 1990 Dodge Grand Caravan LE and the Engine Turns W starter and Sounds Like it wants to start, but I am either getting no spark or no fuel. I thought It would be a good idea to check the relays and any applicable fuses before assuming that the pump / filter might be to blame. Vehicle was sitting for a while and was starting fine and driving of, but I am curious if the fuel filter can cause it to start fine one day and then suddenly get nothing the next.
Category: Chrysler
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It was not giving any sign of trouble starting before and now will not fire.
Fuel is in tank, but not known if it needs to be emptied due to ethanol separation.
I can crank engine for 10 - 20 sec and get nothing.
Used to start in less than 2 sec until it didn't.
Sudden switch in behavior.
I believe it is either no fuel or no ignition.
Old fuel was in tank untreated for aprx 5 months at 1/3 tank. Refilled 1mo ago and added stabalizer. Drove as little as 2 weeks ago.
Swapped out ASD Relay no joy. Napa # *****
Am looking for other causes now.
Fuses Inside Vehicle are not labeled for ignition.
Thinking it might be Ignition Time Delay Relay Napa # *****
Any Thoughts?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm Hoping its not the pump as it is in tank and I am not a mechanic.
Just Inclined.
Didn't want to have to pay $100 for an eval and leave vehicle at shop for multiple days until it can be emptied.
Don't want to tow multiple times either.
Where else should I be looking.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
I'm unsure if you wish to continue based on the information in your first post. If you don't need help or do not wish to pay let me know.
A restricted fuel filter won't be the cause of this.
The first thing that will need to be done is check for fault codes and see if the fuel pump is running when the key is cycled. If the pump isn't running then it's power and ground will need to be tested before condemning it. It's possible that you could have a relay issue but unlikely, you can simply swap relay positions for a quick test.
Have you confirmed whether you're missing spark, fuel or both?