Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
20625509

Chrysler Sebring (Convertible): Parasitic draw on battery,

Customer Question

Parasitic draw on battery, fuse 11, 2004 chrysler sebring convertible. Changes stop lamps, brake switch. Wait 30 minutes to evaluate stays with continous draw. removed all relays and replaced, no change. HELP!
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 years ago.
How exactly are you testing for a draw?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ammeter btx ground wire to battery and frame stud
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 years ago.
Does this have the 3.0 or 2.7?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
2.7
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 years ago.
OK, remove that fuse #11 and place the ammeter there in it's socket, get a reading, then start disconnecting everything on fuse #11's circuit until the draw gets below 50mA, then find and repair the short in whichever branch it was. Do you need a wiring diagram?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
absolutely, i do not know what else is connected at fuse 11
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 years ago.
Is this the fuse #11, a 20a fuse in the power distribution center?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes it is
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
a road map to connectors to disconnect be nice too!
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 years ago.
Fuse #11 feeds fuse #5 in the junction block, so remove that fuse and see what happens.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 years ago.
here, too
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
fuse 5 out 0 draw
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 years ago.
Well then, it's on that fuse #5's branch circuit. As you can see there are alot of items to disconnect. What I would do even before that is put the fuse back in and see if anything listed in that wiring diagram that fuse #5 feeds don't work. That might give you a clue as to what to disconnect first.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 years ago.
I've got to cut the grass, so I'll check back in on you in just a while.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i don't see fuse 5 on fuse block, only got one page
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 years ago.
I said junction block. I sent 2 wiring diagrams.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 years ago.
Here they are again,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I ment junction block. Check relays and pulled each fuse no change in draw. Disconnected as many as i could find connectors to seats and interior lighting. running out of place with out dismantling dash and center console
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I guess I will pull radio and disconnect. I am done for today. Any way to contact you tomorrow once I do radio and center console to computer unit under arm rest?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
got your send diagram and have most of those disconnected. still drawing 7 - 8 amps
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 years ago.
At first you said you pulled the fuse #5 and no draw and then you said you cannot even find fuse #5. What is going on here?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 years ago.
What relays are you pulling and why? I don't see any relays on that fuse #5 circuit.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 years ago.
Why didn't you put the fuse back in and see whatever isn't working first?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 years ago.
yeah, 7-8 amps is alot, that battery would most likely go dead overnite.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry with ammeter on fuse 11 under hood, had draw. removed fuse 5 from interior fuse block. ammeter zeroed. put in 5 and ammeter went back up. I individually remove each fuse from interior fuse block without change in ammeter. checked each relay in interior fuse block each works. I have disconnected interior lights and dis connected as many connectors with out change in draw.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Looking at doing radio in morning.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 years ago.
That is not what I asked.I asked what relays and why when there are no relays on that fuse #5 circuit?Why didn't you see what wasn't working first with the fuse in?Once you narrowed it down to fuse #5, don't do anything else except working on fuse #5 circuit. So, I don't know why you started pulling any relays, etc.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
every thing in car works fine. Door locks, interior lights, exterior lights, wipers, horn, blinkers, etc., etc., looking at control modules?! can they be checked?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No check engine light or codes on computer.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 years ago.
The check engine light is for the engine usually. It may light up for other things since this most likely has a bcm, too but it won't light or store any codes for a battery drain. You just have to continue disconnecting everything in that wiring diagram on that fuse #5's circuit, until the ammeter shows less than 50mA or actually 0mA since it does show that with that fuse removed and the ammeter in fuse 11 socket.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok will continue tomorrow, going to get some chow!
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 years ago.
Ok
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 years ago.
Find the problem yet?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 years ago.
Did you find the battery draw and fix it yet?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no. I have pulled the junction block from inside car. Disconnected all connections until I found the wire that maxed ammeter out. On a grey connector a pink/blue wire. There are 10 wires connector to the connector. How do i find where this wire goes?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 years ago.
If it's a pink/dark blue and on that fuse #5 circuit, then from looking at the wiring diagram I gave you, it goes from pin 13 connector c5 of the fuse block to the s211 splice, then it branches out to 4 pink wires and goes to the compass computer, data link connector, radio, auto temp control head.
Look at that second diagram, http://f01.justanswer.com.s3.amazonaws.com/heavy_chevy_396/c1726bea-10b4-4fee-965a-7d6d6e456411_va180466.pdf
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Radio disconnected. Where is Automatic temperature control head? I have to get deeper in dash to disconect compass/ mini-trip computer. Where does data link connector go?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Duh, got to get my brain checked. DLC is where I hook up computer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
unplugged compass, radio removed temp control head, still pegs.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 years ago.
The data link connector is the dlc, where you plug in a code reader.
What still pegs? Do have have an actual reading and where do you have this ammeter hooked?