Chrysler

Chrysler Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chrysler

Chrysler sebring jx: Hey Roy, I got a new question for you.

Hey Roy, I got a...
Hey Roy, I got a new question for you. I was working in my car yesterday, a 98 jx sebring 2.5. I saw that my brake boster had a small black piece covering what I think its the check valve. That piece its broken and felt apart when I touched it, then a heard a vacum leak from that zone. I put a laboratory test tube cap to cover it by now. I want to now. What is this piece? can be bought alone? Is it normal to have that vacum leak without it? can I close that valve manually or its always open and only closed by this small cap????
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/7/2013
Rachel-Mod
Rachel-Mod, Moderator

I'm Rachel, and I’m a moderator for this topic. I sent your requested professional a message to follow up with you here, when they are back online.

If I can help further, please let me know. Thank you for your continued patience.

Best,

Rachel

Don Knight
Don Knight, ASE Certified Technician

It sounds like the check valve is the part that you broke.The valve should have three ports.Some of the ports are not used and have a cap over them.If that is the set up you have then you can either keep the repair you have done in place or get a new check valve.You can check with you local parts house for a new check valve in the "help" section or the dealer should be able to assist you with the exact new part.Please let me know if you need more assistance,Don

Don, is this free port of the valve closable? If not. Do you know which thigs are connected to this valve. I have past through very bad mechanics and each time i check my car i found susprises. I am afraid i might have something disconnected. Can you please provide me a diagram from that check valve fof a 98 sebring jxi with ac and cruise control. Its a 2.5 v6.

You should have an emissions label under the hood that shows the vacuum routing.The vacuum from the engine should go to the brake booster and then you should have a vacuum line tie off the booster check valve that goes to the VSC system.Which supplies vacuum to the heater/a/c system inside the car and to the vacuum solenoid for the cruse control.
Don Knight
Don Knight, ASE Certified Technician
Don Knight
Don Knight
Don Knight, ASE Certified Technician