Chrysler

Chrysler Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chrysler

I have a 2001 PT Crusier the car will not start when I pull

I have a 2001 PT...

I have a 2001 PT Crusier the car will not start, when I pull the key I hear the chimes go six times then stop and the alarm chirps once to arm but if I lock the doors then unlock them I turn the key to on as normal waiting for the alarm to chirp for ok to start but it never chirps, nothing happens if I turn the key no starter no nothing, and the check engine light flashes one quick time then ten slow flashes. I hooked it up to my OBD II scanner and the MIL or check engine light states its on but no codes. Just bought the car last week but the dealer said too bad the car is as is and they won't fix it unless I pay for it. Turned the key to the on position three times in a row and I get code P1684 then done and P1684 means no codes from what I can find out. 

9/30/2013
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

P1684 sets when the transmission control module has lost it's battery feed at some point. This one is most likely nothing to worry about and shouldn't be related to your no start problem unless the battery is actually very low.

It wouldn't hurt to try a jump start if you haven't already but I don't believe that's going to be the issue.

It sounds as if the problem is with the aftermarket alarm. It would be extremely helpful if I knew what alarm was on the car and I could then track down a manual. Each alarm has different connections and functions.

The problem could be with the car itself - ignition switch, broken ignition switch actuator pin, range sensor, starter, starter cable, starter relay, etc - but the fact that you don't hear a chirp when turning the key on and it seems you did before makes me believe that the problem is alarm related. Most alarms will interrupt power to the starter in one way or another, usually being tied into the ignition switch wiring. It's possible that the switch or actuator pin could be bad and the alarm module and car don't know you're turning the key to the crank position. You can use a test light to check for power on the yellow wire at the ignition switch with the key in the crank position to rule this out.

If that's ok then there's a very good chance this is alarm related. Your choices at that point are going to be to either have the system removed, or if you'd rather keep it then you'll have to identify what it is and go from there. If it's something you'd want to keep and know what the system is then you can let me know and I'll attempt to find a manual for it.

I will check the yellow wire tomorrow but from what I found out online the alarm is a factory installed one. I found alot of people with the same problem but I would have to pay to find want the answer and results were. They all describe the same way to start the car and the same sounds from the alarm. I found the box where the chirping sound comes from and I will get that info to you tomorrow but it has a connector that goes to it and I traced the wires and did not find any splicing they all looked factory. The way you are to start the car is to unlock the door turn the key to on wait for the chirp then you can start the car. It even states this in the owners manual that is why I think it is factory. They are many blogs about this problem online. Also I put all lights on interior and headlights, put the fan on high and when I turned the key to try and make it start the voltage never dropped so it's not the battery. Something is locking out the start circuit. I will let you know more tomorrow and will trace the lines and let you know where they all go to there are six or seven wires going to the box. One thing online said that there is a chip in the keys and something in the ignition switch that gets the signal may be bad.

Factory security works by allowing the engine to start, run for two seconds and it stops fuel injector pulse to kill the engine. If you're hearing the alarm chirp before and after turning the key on then ti's aftermarket for sure, and if you are hearing the alarm control anything but the factory horn that's another positive sign that it's aftermarket.

Factory security disarms either by pressing the unlock button on the key fob or by unlocking a door with the key. You don't have any sort of waiting period or chirping when starting the engine.

Factory security uses programming in existing modules so if you've found a box where the chirping is coming from then that's the aftermarket alarm module or at least one of it's components. It should hopefully have a brand and model number on it. If you're reading about this system in a manual then it sounds like you've gotten the manual for the aftermarket alarm along with the car, in which case there should also be at last a brand name on the front of it also.

If you have a thick, gray headed key then you do have the SKIM system with a transponder in the key that communicates with a module in the column. Just like factory security (VTSS), this works by allowing the engine to start and then taking away injector pulse to kill the engine.

The manual that I was reading how it works was in the owners manual on pages 23 and 119 it explains how to start the car like I stated in my last reply.

It's too old to be able to download a manual for so I'm not able to read what you are seeing, however there is nothing in place on the vehicle from the factory that makes you wait for an alarm to chirp before starting the engine.

Let's see if we can identify that module that you found and we'll go from there.

You are the man I couldn't wait until tomorrow so I went back out ant took all the wire ties and electrical tape off and it was as you said aftermarket I found all the wire splices. I took the aftermarket wires off and reconnected the original wires to where they belong and the car started up. Thank-you very much and tomorrow I will clean up the wiring and put butt end connectors on the wires I just wired nutted them for now. Just write me back and I will rate you excellent.

Wonderful, I'm glad to hear you found and repaired it! A lot of times those aftermarket alarms are more trouble than they are worth and I've removed quite a few of them in these situations. I'm glad you're up and running again!
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

sprinkles08 again thanks for your help I gave you 10's on the feedback and a good writeup. If I have any other Dodge questions again I will ask for you. Again thanks for your help.

You're welcome! I'm glad I was able to help you get your car running again. Let me know if you need anything again in the future!

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician