Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

Chrysler PT Cruiser: I have a 05 pt cruiser replaced timing

I have a 05 pt cruiser replaced timing belt tension pulley, timing belt, replaced crankshaft position sensor and camshaft position sensor got all marks lined up on timing and I am still getting p0016 code.The car will start but idles real low like its trying to die and lopes really bad. Is there something else I need to change.

tim's auto repair :

hi

tim's auto repair :

are you sure on the timing marks?

Customer:

yes I have had the car apart 5 times, unless there is sum special way to do it,they all lined up from what I can see

tim's auto repair :

ok

tim's auto repair :

the only other thing would be the wiring to the cam and crank sensors

tim's auto repair :

or,,the pick-up[tone wheels

tim's auto repair :

82_cr05ptcru_pd-256.png
Full Size Image

Test 1

83_cr05ptcru_pd-257.png
Full Size Image

Test 2 - 6

84_cr05ptcru_pd-258.png
Full Size Image

Test 7 - 10

85_cr05ptcru_pd-259.png
Full Size Image

Test 11

SYMPTOM
P0016-CRANKSHAFT/CAMSHAFT TIMING MISALIGNMENT

WHEN MONITORED
Engine cranking and Engine running

SET CONDITION
Powertrain Control Module detects an error when the camshaft position is out of phase with the crankshaft position. One trip fault.

POSSIBLE CAUSES
- Intermittent condition
- Checking intermittent CMP signal with LAB
- CMP wire harness inspection
- Tone wheel/pulse ring inspection
- CKP wire harness inspection
- Tone wheel/pulse ring inspection
- Intermittent CKP signal
- Camshaft position sensor
- Crankshaft position sensor
- Test action applicability\

tim's auto repair :

i will give you the timing proceedure

tim's auto repair :

you may want to chek it one more time

Customer:

I turned crankshaft sprocket to tdc then alined the camshaft timing marks off that

tim's auto repair :

ok

tim's auto repair :

but,,it sill seems to be out a notch

tim's auto repair :

TIMING BELT AND SPROCKETS
REMOVAL

TIMING BELT
1. Disconnect negative battery cable.

18_cr05ptcru_9-155a.png
Full Size Image

2. Remove upper and lower front timing belt covers (Fig. 161).

CAUTION: When aligning crankshaft and camshaft timing marks always rotate engine from crankshaft. Camshaft should not be rotated after timing belt is removed. Damage to valve components may occur. Always align timing marks before removing timing belt.

22_cr05ptcru_9-158a.png
Full Size Image

3. Before the removal of the timing belt, rotate crankshaft until the TDC mark on oil pump housing aligns with the TDC mark on crankshaft sprocket (trailing edge of sprocket tooth) (Fig. 166).

NOTE: The crankshaft sprocket TDC mark is located on the trailing edge of the sprocket tooth. Failure to align trailing edge of sprocket tooth to TDC mark on oil pump housing will cause the camshaft timing marks to be misaligned.

23_cr05ptcru_9-158b.png
Full Size Image

4. Loosen timing belt tensioner lock bolt (Fig. 167).
5. Insert a 6 mm Allen wrench into the hexagon opening located on the top plate of the belt tensioner pulley (Fig. 167). Rotate the top plate CLOCKWISE until there is enough slack in timing belt to allow for removal.
6. Remove timing belt.

CAUTION: If timing belt was damaged due to incorrect tracking (alignment), the belt tensioner pulley and bracket must be replaced as an assembly.

CAMSHAFT SPROCKET(S)
1. Remove upper and lower front timing belt covers.
2. Remove timing belt.

25_cr05ptcru_9-158c.png
Full Size Image

3. Use Special Tool 6847 to hold camshaft sprockets while removing the sprocket bolt(s) (Fig. 168). Remove camshaft sprocket(s).

CRANKSHAFT SPROCKET
2. Remove timing belt.

26_cr05ptcru_9-159a.png
Full Size Image

3. Remove crankshaft sprocket using Special Tool 6793 and insert C-4685-C2 (Fig. 169).

INSTALLATION
CRANKSHAFT SPROCKET

CAUTION: The crankshaft sprocket is set to a predetermined depth from the factory for correct timing belt tracking. If removed, use of Special Tool 6792 is required to set the sprocket to original installation depth. An incorrectly installed sprocket will result in timing belt and engine damage.

27_cr05ptcru_9-159b.png
Full Size Image

1. Install crankshaft sprocket using Special Tool 6792 (Fig. 170).
2. Install timing belt.
3. Install upper and lower front timing belt covers.

CAMSHAFT SPROCKET(S)

CAUTION: Do not use an impact wrench to tighten camshaft sprocket bolts. Damage to the camshaft-to-sprocket locating dowel pin may occur.

1. Install camshaft sprockets. Hold sprockets with Special Tool 6847 while tightening center bolt to 115 Nm (85 ft. lbs.) (Fig. 168).
2. Install timing belt.

TIMING BELT
1. Set crankshaft sprocket to TDC by aligning the sprocket with the arrow on the oil pump housing.

28_cr05ptcru_9-159c.png
Full Size Image

2. Set camshafts timing marks so that the exhaust camshaft sprocket is a 1/2 notch below the intake camshaft sprocket (Fig. 171).

CAUTION: Ensure that the arrows on both camshaft sprockets are facing up.

31_cr05ptcru_9-160a.png
Full Size Image

3. Install timing belt. Starting at the crankshaft, go around the water pump sprocket, idler pulley camshaft sprockets and then around the tensioner (Fig. 172).
4. Move the exhaust camshaft sprocket counterclockwise (Fig. 172) to align marks and take up belt slack.

32_cr05ptcru_9-160b.png
Full Size Image

5. Insert a 6 mm Allen wrench into the hexagon opening located on the top plate of the belt tensioner pulley Rotate the top plate COUNTERCLOCKWISE. The tensioner pulley will move against the belt and the tensioner setting notch will eventually start to move clockwise. Watching the movement of the setting notch, continue rotating the top plate counterclockwise until the setting notch is aligned with the spring tang (Fig. 173). Using the allen wrench to prevent the top plate from moving, torque the tensioner lock bolt to 25 Nm (220 inch lbs.). Setting notch and spring tang should remain aligned after lock bolt is torqued.
6. Remove allen wrench and torque wrench.

NOTE: Repositioning the crankshaft to the TDC position must be done only during the CLOCKWISE rotation movement. If TDC is missed, rotate a further two revolutions until TDC is achieved. DO NOT rotate crankshaft counterclockwise as this will make verification of proper tensioner setting impossible.

30_cr05ptcru_9-161a.png
Full Size Image

7. Rotate the crankshaft CLOCKWISE two complete revolutions manually for seating of the belt, until the crankshaft is repositioned at the TDC position. Verify that the camshaft and crankshaft timing marks are in proper position (Fig. 174).

31_cr05ptcru_9-161b.png
Full Size Image

8. Check if the spring tang is within the tolerance window (Fig. 175). If the spring tang is within the tolerance window, the installation process is complete and nothing further is required. If the spring tang is not within the tolerance window, repeat Steps 5 through 7.
9. Install upper and lower front timing belt covers (Fig. 161).
10. Connect negative cable to battery.

Customer:

so if this is off it would give me the p0016 code, I'm not 100% sure its lined up

tim's auto repair :

yes

Customer:

Im talking bout the the spring tang on the tension pulley not timing , sorry bout that

tim's auto repair :

this is just to get the right tension

tim's auto repair :

it wouldnt have anything to do with the timing

Customer:

ok I think I see where I did it wrong, it says the trailing edge on the crankshaft sprocket.

tim's auto repair :

yes

tim's auto repair :

remove the covers and do it as the instructions

tim's auto repair :

i would think it will be fine

Customer:

Thanks. I will try it.

tim's auto repair :

you are very welcome

tim's auto repair :

Please RATE my answer by clicking the RATINGS button, so I can get credit for my work,,the [BAD SERVICE] and [POOR SERVICE] rating does not give me credit].i don't receive commission if you give a less than 3 star/smiley rating ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate,,.please understand,i can not see,hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.if i have sent any diagrams,please print them.they will only stay on here for an hour or so...sometimes you may need to right click the image,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP