Matt Hardy
Matt Hardy, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Auto Tech, ASE L1, Jeep/Chrysler Dealer Tech, 18 yrs exp
24870662

Chrysler 300: my throttle control light came on in my car as

my throttle control light came on in my car as i was driving what should i do

Matt Hardy :

Hello and welcome to Just Answer, my name is Matt.

Matt Hardy :

The throttle control warning light means that there is a fault detected in the electronic throttle control system.

Matt Hardy :

usually these faults are minor and easily corrected.

Matt Hardy :

What is your engine size? The different engines have different issues with the throttle system.

Matt Hardy :

I will wait for your reply. Matt

Customer:

i have a 4 cy

Matt Hardy :

Sorry, no 300's in the US market were equipped with a 4 cylinder engine, if that is what you meant. The possible engine sizes are 2.7L, 3.5L, or 5.7L Hemi.

Customer:

i do not know how to look up the engine size all i know is that its a 4 cyl

Customer:

3.5

Matt Hardy :

Did you recently purchase this car, or have you had it since it was new?

Customer:

i got it new

Matt Hardy :

Okay, thanks. If the warning light is coming on, there should be a fault code stored. Are you able to go to an auto parts store, such as NAPA or Auto Zone? They can do a code scan for free. If you can get the codes, and let me know, I can help you figure this out.

Customer:

yes there is a auto zone i can go to. thank you kindly

Matt Hardy :

Excellent. Please post back here with the codes. Be sure to write them down exactly. Thanks

Customer:

Mark i have the scan code number it is p2181. they told me it was the cooling system performents and my egin size is 2.7

Matt Hardy :

Let me check on the diagnostics for that code...be right back

Customer:

the light went off but the check engine is still on

Matt Hardy :

Ok. P2181 is a cooling system fault code. Seen this many many times. Usually it will set if the coolant is low. Look in the big plastic bottle on the passenger side. It should be up to the line with pink/red coolant. Don't take the cap off when it is hot!!!

Customer:

thank you so much

Matt Hardy :

on the 2.7L engine, it is common for coolant to leak from the plastic black housing on top of the engine, passenger side.

Matt Hardy :

if it has a pink or brown residue on it, it is leaking and should be replaced

Customer:

ok thanks so i should be ok now to drive

Matt Hardy :

if the coolant is full, then it should be OK to drive. make sure it is full up to the line, and check it evry so often. You do not want to overheat the 2.7L engine at all...this will cause severe engine damage!

Matt Hardy :

The check engine light will go out on it's own after a few days, if the coolant is in fact low, and it is refilled properly

Customer:

thank you matt i will get my husband to check it out ,thanks for all your help,

Matt Hardy :

You are welcome. Please rate my answers when we are done.