Chrysler

Chrysler Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chrysler

chrysler pt cruiser: I have a 2004 PT Cruiser(non-turbo) that

I have a 2004 PT...
I have a 2004 PT Cruiser(non-turbo) that runs great, but idles poorly. I have replaced both torque struts and both mounts. I have,also, replaced plugs/wires and coil pack.
10/5/2012
autotech911
Hello I will try to assist you with this problem. Explain more about this idle issue,is it rough, low, surging or other

The idle is right at 700rpm and the tach does not show that its fluctuating. The idle is rough enough that the radio antenna and hood are noticeably shaking. It does not "fall down" when you take off from an idle situation; and the acceleration is smooth. When you pull up to a stop light, it immediately starts idling roughly. I hope this helps you.

OK this may or may not help but will certainly won't hurt. Get some throtle body cleaner, can be puchased at any auto parts store, and a soft bristle tooth brush. Remove air intake boot and open the throttle plate, it is probally going to be dirty. Spray the cleaner into the throttle body holding the butterfly open and lightly scrub the bore and butterfly with the tooth brush then spray liberally again. You can wipe it out wih a soft cloth and the start the engine to clear out the excess cleaner. Repeat these steps several times until the bore is good and clean. I have had good results on many vehicles with idle problems. If you are still havng the problem we wil take more steps to resolve your issue. Hope this helps.
autotech911

Thank you for your positive feedback. I hope I have helped resolve your problem,however if you need more assistance feel free to contact me again.

Thanks again Bill

I did as you suggested but the problem is the same. Do you have any other suggestions?

Thank you, Cecil

Hello Cecil, I have been doing some research on the issue you are having, and have found that this is a common problem with these vehicles. Unfortunately there seems that there is no definite answer to this problem. However, here are a few things to try.

(1) Try gapping plugs @ .040. The underhood sticker states that it should be .050, but the gap has been updated by Chrysler.

(2) There is also a TSB that Chrysler has out about this issue, but usually is for vehicles with PO300 codes present. This requires the PCM to be reflashed.

TSB# XXXXX

Hope this helps. Bill

Well, Bill, it didn't fix the problem, but it did make it less prominent. In fact, I would say it did more to lessen the shaking we discussed than any other thing I've tried; including $1500 for engine mounts and torque struts. Thanks for your help....I'm open to anything. I might mention that I did check the compression and it was 170-175 on each cylinder. It reminds me of a sticking EGR valve or a bad transducer, but I can't see an EGR tube from the exhaust.. however, I do see a solenoid that appears to be in place of the EGR valve?????

Cecil, I thought about the egr maybe not closing all the way but would think that would set a code. Anyway heres the egr location below.
autotech911
autotech911
autotech911