Chrysler

Chrysler Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chrysler

Chrysler Sebring JX (Convertible): I need to bleed more air

I need to bleed more...
I need to bleed more air out of my 2001 Chrysler Sebring 2.7. How can I do this?
9/22/2012
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It's the cooling system you're needing to bleed, correct?

Yes. The heat works for about 20 minutes then goes off and works intermittantly after that.

I've seen quite a few intermittent heat issues due to air in the heater core so starting with bleeding the cooling system is a great idea.

Start with the engine cool and remove the radiator cap. Make sure the coolant level is pretty close to the full mark.

Follow the upper radiator hose to the engine and you will find it goes to a plastic block that also has 1-2 other hoses attached and there is what looks like a brake bleeder screw on top. This is the bleeder screw for the cooling system.

With the cap still off ,start and run the engine until it's at full operating temperature. Periodically open the bleeder screw while it's running to let air out that works it's way to the top, close the screw when a full stream of coolant comes out.

When it's at full operating temperature bring the RPM's up to 1,500-2,000 for 10-20 seconds and let it come back to idle, go back and see if any air comes from the bleeder screw. Repeat this a few times if necessary. Raising the RPM's will force more coolant flow than is possible at idle and it will normally allow more air to make it to the bleeder. There often isn't enough flow at idle to force air from the heater core.

Once you are no longer getting any air from the bleeder and you aren't seeing any bubbles in the reservoir then you can do a final top off of the coolant if it's low and install the radiator cap.

Please only rate my answer when you are satisfied with my help. If for any reason you feel you cannot rate my help with at least "Ok Service" or better please click the Reply to Expert link and let me know any further questions you have.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

It's been awhile and air is still comming out. I'll have to pick this back up tomorrow as I am out of coolant.

Not a problem. Let me know how it goes!

Every time I get all the air out the heat works but then when I go to use the car again after all that the heat no longer works and there is air back in the system. Since my original question was how to bleed the system you have been most helpful and I will approve the payment.

Thanks,

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician